3- Introductions

I wake up to the caw of, I suppose, a rooster. I am not sure if other birds caw. Checking my watch, I see that it is 6:00am sharp. I wonder if every day will be like this.

I turn on the TV. There's limited channels-- a weather channel, one called living off the land, and... a fortune teller? I click on it.

"The spirits are in good humor today. I think you'll have a little extra luck."

This place is weird. Nonetheless, it makes me feel happy.

I open my door and water my parsnips. They grow quickly; I can see little buds sticking out of the ground. I can't help but feel proud. I haven't killed any yet. That's good.

I look over to my mailbox to see it being open slightly. Inside is two letters and a little package.

The first letter has Frannie written on it plainly and the package beneath. I immediately recognize it as my dad's handwriting. I rip it open.

"Dear Frannie,

Have you settled into your new life yet? I can't believe you're all grown up now... Time sure flies. Now that you're gone I have all this money laying around, so I included a little gift.

Love, Dad"

I smile to myself and make a mental note to mail him back. My heart feels warm. I miss him a lot.

I open the package to find 500 coins. I stick them in my pocket. The next envelope is from someone named Willy, telling me to go to the beach. It is about 8am, and I am already feeling tired. I wonder if there's anywhere I can eat.

I take the dirt path into town. Once I get there, I notice a small hospital. Entering it, I see a man with a brown mustache. He raises his eyebrows at me. I introduce myself. He responds, kindly, with,

"It's a pleasure to meet you. I'm Harvey, the local doctor."

**************

Within the next two hours, I buy some extra seeds at Pierre's. Pierre was friendly and seemed glad to have a new customer. I heard music coming from the next room over and asked Pierre about it. He told me to go over, saying that his wife holds a little workout session every Tuesday. I was a little nervous to go over, but he reassured me they would all be happy to meet me. In the next room, I met an unusual woman named Emily with blue hair, Pierre's wife Caroline who had green hair, a woman named Jodi (who told me I wasn't what she was expecting), and I spoke again to Marnie and Robin.

I am really starting to wonder if everyone dyes their hair or if it is naturally that way. Maybe if I live here long enough my hair will start to change color, too.

Most people are polite when meeting me. I haven't found anyone I dislike. I still have people to meet, which I mean to do today.

Willy, who sent me the letter gave me an old fishing rod. I haven't the slightest clue on how to use it, but I am sure I will figure it out with time.

The rest of the day I'll spend hunting down people. Lewis told me there are twenty-eight people who live in the area. I have many people left to meet. Something odd I've learned about this town, however, is that just about everyone leaves their doors unlocked during the day. Anyone's always invited in, and they can come and go as they please. I could NEVER do anything like that in the city. It isn't as safe there.

I figure it will be good to start on Willow Lane. The first house, that Jodi said is hers, is unlocked, just as she said it would be. I wipe my shoes and walk in. I hear loud electric guitar music coming from a door to my left. In front of me, there's a little boy with pinkish hair on the floor playing with toy cars. I walk over to him.