20- Sleepover, day three; A plan forms

When I wake up, I'm entirely disoriented, having no idea where I am.

Then, when I hear the clacking of a typewriter, I realize I'm in Elliott's house.

Ah. So it wasn't a dream.

I sit up, and the bed creaks with my movement. Elliott's on the floor, typing away, a cup of tea next to him. It's still dark outside, but not entirely. Only the smallest bit of dawn lights the room. The stack of papers beside him is considerably larger than it was last night. He looks up at me.

"Good morning, Francesca. I made tea if you'd like some. How are you feeling?" He asks, smiling a little.

I yawn. "I'm okay, thank you. I don't even remember much of what happened last night. I guess I went for a midnight stroll and somehow ended up here," I say. It's the truth; I don't remember too much.

Just eyes. Familiar eyes.

Elliott's eyes crinkle upwards as he smiles softly. "It's good you're feeling better. It's about 5:50am, in case you're wondering. I thought you'd sleep a little longer, but I see you're awake," He tells me, then types a little more. He wears a sweater and jeans, a change from his usual large coat.

I sigh. It's about time I get going and get started on the chores for today. I slide out of Elliott's bed. My sandy clothes are in a pile on the floor. I look at them and frown at my feet. Man. Why didn't I put on any shoes?

"I think I should probably get started at the farm now. Thank you again, Elliott," I say. He nods, looking pleased, and then looks at the clothes on the floor, then back up at me.

"You can keep the shirt and the shorts. I don't wear them. And of course, Francesca. You're always welcome to stay here whenever you need me. Do you want me to walk you home?" He asks, eyeing the papers next to him. I can tell that he would walk me there if I asked, but he's eager to keep writing.

I shake my head gratefully. "Thank you, and no, it's okay."

He nods. "If you're sure, then. Goodbye, friend," He tells me, and I scoop up my clothes.

I wish him a goodbye as well before I leave, shutting the door behind me.

The sand is still cold under my feet, and I start to walk into town.

No one's really out yet. There's still an hour or two before the town wakes up.

Oh. But what about when Sebastian wakes up?

What will he think when he sees me missing?

Quickly, I shuffle my bare feet faster so that I can get home even quicker. I waste no time, and eventually, I'm back on my farm. I hop up the stairs and before I'm able to open the door, I hear Sebastian's voice inside, talking to someone. I listen for a moment.

"No, Sam, she's not here, I don't know what to do."

Silence.

"No, no, it... No, Sam, she's not outside, either,"

Silence.

"Yes, man, I checked! I don't know what to do! What if she was kidnapped? Or went mining again? What if--"

I open the door, my sandy clothes still in my arms and my knotted hair in every direction.

Sebastian turns quickly towards me, and his mouth drops as he looks at my outfit.

Covered in sand, barefoot, wild hair, clothes that clearly aren't mine...

Uh oh. It looks like I was doing something I was not.