26- Dance of the Moonlight Jellies

Francesca's POV

The next morning I can't help but spring out of bed with a smile on my face. Okay, so we didn't actually kiss, but we were so close to kissing that I'm still all jittery. The sun shines brightly through my window, all traces of yesterday's rainy weather gone. I practically skip outside to do my chores.

Noticing my mailbox is full, I go over to it. There's a letter from Demetrius. 

Dear Francesca,

Tonight around 10 o'clock PM, a rare and beautiful event will take place. The moonlight jellies will be passing by Pelican Town on their long journey south for the winter. We're all gathering at the beach to watch. You don't want to miss this!

See you tonight,

-Demetrius

Well, that sounds fun! I! Can't! Wait! 

Oh boy. I need to chill out.

Come on now, Francesca, you didn't even kiss.

But you almost diiiiiiiid.

Stop. Enough. 

Sighing, I empty out the rest of my watering can into a particularly high quality cornstalky plant. The rain from yesterday left some of the ground saturated, but not enough that all of my plants were still basically watered. It's nice to have one last day of that summer air that chills so late into the night before the biting chill of fall and blistering cold of winter overtakes this small town. 

God. I sound like Elliott. Not that it's a bad thing.

A chill runs down my spine as the cold breeze suddenly passes through my hair. The sun is deceiving.

Pushing my hair out of my face from the wind, I feel my phone buzz in my pocket. I take it out and look at the caller ID: Sam. 

Oops. I forgot to text him last night.

Pressing the little green button, I put my phone up to my ear.

"Francesca Grace Farmer." He says, matter of factly. I laugh.

"That really just isn't my name."

"You never texted me last night."

"I'm sorry, I forgot," I apologize as Dust brushes up against my leg. 

I can hear his hands clap together. Wait, then what is he holding the phone with?

"Well! Tell me all about it. Right now. Like seriously right now, I have to go soon."

My face heats up despite the chilled wind at the memory of what happened. "I went up there. We  saw a frog and then he showed me a bunch of tadpoles."

"That's it?"

"Well, no, but--"

"Spill. Now."

"We almost kissed."

The line goes silent. I pull my phone away from my ear to see if the call is still connected, and it is, so I start to put it back against my head. Before I get there all the way, his voice screams, "YESSSSSSS!"

I pull my phone away from my ear again at the loud sound. "Jeez,  you're going to make me deaf. And we didn't actually kiss. Just like, almost," I say, a smile working its way onto my face. 

"BUT STILL! YESSSS! THAT'S SO GOOD! I'M SO HAPPY THAT-- Mom, give me one second, okay?-- THAT THAT ALMOST-- Mom, I said I was coming!-- Fran, I think I have to go--" And the line disconnects.

I chuckle to myself, still feeling the embarrassment hot in my face. How am I supposed to face Sebastian now? 

I point a finger at my face. "Idiot, idiot, idiot," I repeat, scolding myself.