5- Something a Little Harder

At first, all I can notice are eyes from everyone in the saloon staring at me. I am sure not everyone was staring, but man, it really sure did feel like it. I look around sheepishly for a moment. I feel like almost everyone in town is here.

"Fran!" I hear Leah's voice call out. I turn to my left, grateful to be pulled from the awkward stares. She approaches me. Slowly, anyone who was looking at me turns away and goes back to their conversations. I let a breath of relief.

Except Shane, though. He stares at me over the rim of his beer. My eyes meet his, and we look at each other for a moment. He looks away, and Leah touches my arm.

"I'm so glad you came! Honestly, I wasn't so sure you would!" She says loudly over the music. I smile just a little at her, feeling a little embarrassed anxious.

"Yeah, me neither, actually, but I'm sure it'll be fun," I respond. She grabs me by the elbow to lead me to a table near the jukebox where Elliott is already sitting, waiting for us. I walk pass Marnie and give her a little hello, but she doesn't respond. I guess the music is too loud. Or maybe she's just a little too involved in her conversation with the Mayor.

Leah pulls a stool over for me from the bar. I take a seat and so does she. Elliott nods at me.

"Francesca, thanks for joining us. I'm really looking forward to getting to know you better," He says. He doesn't smile with his teeth, but the curve of his lips form dimples in his cheeks. He is handsome. He looks at me curiously.

"Are you alright? You're a bit pale," He comments. 

"I'm a little anxious, to be honest," I say, and then laugh a little to myself. "It's been a really long time since I've really gone out. Or had friends."

"Well, we can surely add some color to your cheeks tonight. Emily!" Elliott calls, causing Emily to scurry over. Her blue hair contrasts beautifully with her red dress.

"Frannie, hi, nice to see you," She says to me, then turns to Elliot. "What can I get for you?"

"My usual wine concoction, please, and Leah's fruity mix. Francesca, what would you like? It's on me," Elliott says. I smile at him gratefully. I don't have much money. I've got just enough for a coop and two chickens and not much for anything else.

"Uh, some type of beer, I suppose. Maybe something a little harder," I add on. Leah giggles at me. 

"What?" I ask, being unable to stop myself from giggling, too.

"I think we should all have something a little harder tonight," She says, laughing to herself. Elliott joins in on the laughing session. 

"Alright, let's do it. Emily, three of 'something a little harder,'" He says, clearly mocking me. Emily nods.

"Sounds good to me. Maybe we'll add that to the menu in honor of our new farmer-- 'something a little harder,'" She says, and then moves back over to the bar to get our drinks. 

"Look at that! A new drink in honor of our new farmer," Leah says, grinning from ear to ear. I scrunch up my nose and laugh. It felt nice to laugh like this-- I can't remember the last time my face hurt from smiling. It's a good feeling. I didn't realize how much I missed it. 

Emily returns with our drinks. They're in little cups, so I assume that the alcohol content is probably high. Elliott sniffs the drink and lets out a whistle. 

"To our new farmer," Leah says, holding up her glass to clink it against ours. Elliott and I follow suit, also raising our glasses, but he shakes his head.

"No, no-- To our newest friend," He corrects her, and I grin. 

We clink our glasses and throw back our first drink.