2- New home

I look out the window to see an older man with a kind face and a pretty young woman with bright orange hair. I wonder if its dyed. I walk towards the end of the bus and offer the bus driver a thank you. They look at me.

"We don't really get many people that head off to Stardew Valley in spring. You got big plans here?" They ask. I shrug.

"Yeah, something like that, I guess."

"Well, good luck with that. Thanks for giving me somewhere to go," They say, and then turn back to their steering wheel. I take that as a subtle hint that they're ready to head back to Zuzu city. The doors creak open, and I step down the stairs. I hear the doors shut behind me, the bus revving, and then it is gone.

I look at the people in front of me, who are both smiling.

"Hey there, Ms. Francesca! I am Mayor Lewis. You can call me Lewis, or Mayor, is fine. It's nice to meet you-- your grandfather told me a lot about you. It, uh, really is a shame about your grandfather. He was a good friend to me and most of us older folk in town. But! Nonetheless! It is really good to have you here!" The man, Lewis, says. I smile at him, feeling a bit awkward. The woman glances over at Lewis, and then back to me, noticing the tension.

"I'm Robin, local carpenter. It really is good to meet you. I live up in the mountains with my husband Demetrius, daughter Maru, and my son Sebastian. I have to warn you, your cabin is a little old, but once you get some money and supplies, I can fix it up a little better," Robin explains. I nod at her a little, offering as much of a smile as I can. I can feel my hands shaking. I am getting anxious, and I don't mean to be; this is new and overwhelming. I take a breath to try to calm myself down. It doesn't work well.

"Frannie-" I blurt out, and feel my cheeks heat up. Robin's smile widens a little to show teeth, meaning she is finding me funny. Even though I am embarrassed, it's at least a little comforting to know that maybe I am charming instead of weird.

"I don't really go by Francesca much. You can call me Frannie, if you'd like. Francesca works, though. But-- my friends do call me Frannie," I finish. I wish I would just shut up sometimes. I don't even think I have friends anymore. I doubt any of them will bother to write.

"Frannie," Lewis repeats. "Well, Frannie, are you ready to take a peak at your new home?"

"Yeah, I'm ready," I respond.

"Well, then follow me this way."

****************

"This cottage really is old. The door is pretty creaky. I am sure you'll make a nice home of it, though," Lewis says after walking Robin and I to my new house. It's weird to think if it that way. It's my house. Huh. I haven't had one of my own before. I've had an apartment with an ex and lived with my dad, but I have never lived alone before, much less had a whole house to myself. I wonder if I can do it.

Robin opens the door to the house to let Lewis and I in. There's a bed in the corner, a TV, a chest, a fireplace, and a few decorations: two house plants (that look fake, and upon further inspection, I see that they are) and some sort of wreath above the TV. I glance around, feeling like something's off. It takes me a moment, but then I figure it out. There's no kitchen...?

I suppose I have a confused look on my face, because Robin breaks the silence, saying that "Yeah, there's no kitchen. Like I said earlier, if you get some supplies, I can totally build you one. It'll be the first thing I do if you're interested."

I nod. "Yeah, that sounds perfect."

It is quiet for a moment longer. It's my fault that we are quiet. I am sure Lewis and Robin know each other well.