7- Rat Problem

Today's the day that I am finally ready to do a few different things.

First, I'm going to look at the dark blue letter in the mail box.

Second, I'm going to get a coop.

And third,  I'm going to dive head first into the mines. Not literally. Maybe literally, deciding on how impulsive I'm feeling. We'll see.

I head outside, full of the confidence of a day with happy spirits and luck, and approach my mailbox. There's another letter inside.

It's from Robin. She lost her axe in the woods and is asking someone to find it. Easy peasy. I can do that.

I rip open the blue envelope. I've never been very good at opening things gracefully.

After reading it, I feel kind of scared. I look around, and once I feel certain no one is watching me,  I turn back to the letter.

It wants me to check out the "Rat Problem" in the community center.

Two things.

One: Lewis did not send me this letter. That means someone else knows I was in there and knows about what I saw. Someone's watching me.

And two: They know just as well as I do that there aren't rats in the community center.

I shudder.

Eek.

Nonetheless, I want to find out more. I stick the letter in my backpack and update my mental list.

First, find Robin's axe. Second, return her axe and pay for a coop. Third, revisit the dreaded community center. Fourth and finally, head into the mines.

**********

Robin's letter said she was chopping wood south of Marnie's farm, and so I head off that way. The bottom of my farm is a bit cluttered with debris, but after some serious searching I find the path that leads me towards Marnie's ranch.

I can see Leah's house. She's standing by the river. My feet crunch on a stick and she turns around. She smiles at me.

"Hey, Fran!" She yells, gesturing me towards her. I smile back and approach her.

"Hey Leah, how are you?" I ask her as she gives me a side hug.

"I'm good. The headache Saturday morning was awful, but it didn't last too long. I'm just out here today trying to gather some kind of nature-y inspiration. How about you? What are you up to?" She tells me. I nod along as she talks.

"I'm good, better, too. I've got a lot to do today," I answer. She smiles almost sympathetically.

"Ah, I see. Well then, I won't keep you. Have a good day!" She says, patting me on my back a bit. I smile and turn to go, but then stop.

"Hey, wait. I've got a question," I announce. She hums at me questionably.

"I got a weird letter in the mail yesterday. I don't think it's from anyone I've met. Can you think of anyone it might be from?" I ask. Leah stares off into the river, thinking, and then without looking at me, she speaks.

"Might be the wizard," She says. I raise my eyebrows.

"There's a wizard?" I ask, bewildered. I don't know why I am surprised. Of course there's a wizard here.