Chapter 7

MEGAN

The last time we talked my life was so different. I had just started my first year, I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. Hell, I didn't even know who I was back then, let alone did I know who I wanted to be. I changed so much as a person. I went from a girl who was fighting for attention from her father to an independent woman who doesn't need anyone to survive. From someone who was figuring life out to someone who knows what they want and goes for it one hundred percent.

It's not only that I changed, Matthew changed as well. I can see it in the way he walks and in the look in his eyes. He's more mature, he looks like he knows what he wants. I remember that three years ago he also didn't know what he wanted to do yet, he probably figured that out.

It's weird to see him again. For all those years I felt like I knew him and in a way I considered us friends. Seeing him again, with his friends in Adele's house made me realise how little we know each other now. I cannot expect him to be the same person he was back then. I know I'm not the same.

I was both happy and surprised when he asked me to hang out. I don't even know why he was so nervous about it. Of course I would want to hang out with him. Our conversation of three years ago is one of the best I've had in my life. I think only my grandmother and Adele can reach the same level of meaningfulness.

Waiting in the kitchen for him to come out of the guestroom, I get why he was nervous. My hands are getting sweaty and my mind is going over a thousand scenarios. I know we had a good conversation three years ago and the past hour I thought it would be exactly the same. The longer I sit her, the more I realise how I changed, the more worried I get about this.

Luckily he comes into the kitchen soon enough and I have no more time to worry. We walk towards the beach. I've walked this path hundreds of times, but it feels different. It isn't the first time I'm with someone, my friends have joined me here more than once. Sophies grandparents even live close to the beach here, so she has been here many more times than I have. But Matthew is different. Maybe because we have some sort of history together, maybe because he has never been here before.

"Wow, this place is amazing!"

I give him some time to take in the view. The houses near the cliff, the bay a bit further down, the boats all over the ocean near the coast. It's quite a view. While he's distracted, I take my time to really look at him. Three years ago he was really cute. Who am I kidding? He has the most attractive guy I had ever seen on campus. Still is.

He looks even more handsome than I remember him to be. I remember the warmness of his eyes as they look over the ocean. His hair is longer than it was, gelled back but it still moves on the pattern of the wind. The same wind that carries a scent of his cologne my way. He's wearing a simple T-shirt with a pair of shorts but he still manages to look flawless in my eyes.

"So, Adele said you stay here every summer?"

"Yeah, I do. The first time was seven years ago. My grandmother lived here and my dad wanted me to get to know my family."

I let out a soft laugh at that lie my father told me all those years ago. Retelling that lie is easier than explaining the truth of my father shipping me off whenever he could.

"Ever since then I came back every summer, spending my time here until it was time to go back to school. Three years ago, shortly before we met, my grandmother died but Adele took me in like her own granddaughter and I've been staying with her during the summer since then."

"Wow. That's quite the story. I bet Greek summers are much better than English summers."

"Yeah, that's definitely true. But it was weird in the beginning. Don't get me wrong, the people here are the best, but everything was so different here than back home."

We stay silent for a bit, listening to the wind blow and the waves crashing on the cliffs nearby. No matter how busy your mind is, this sound always manages to calm me down.

"How's your family? Your brother must be three by now?"

"Yeah he is. I didn't think you'd remember me ranting about him."

"How could I forget? You were very descriptive with how cute he was."

"Now I'm embarrassed. But he still is cute. I will actually be getting another sibling in a few weeks."

"Really?! That's amazing!"

"Yeah, it is, Louis is going to be a great big brother. Every night before he goes to bed he wants to give the baby a kiss."

"That's adorable. It must have been hard to leave though."

"Really hard. But mum wanted me to go no matter what and I had David promise me to call if even the slightest thing happened."

"It'll be fine, I'm positive. Just enjoy your time out before you're stuck changing diapers."

"Not looking forward to even more diapers to change. Definitely not."

We talk a bit more about his mum and brother and he shows me some pictures. I must say, his little brother is almost as cute as he is. He tells me more about his two friends that he came here with. I remember seeing his friend Logan on the party we met three years ago and I've seen him around a few times. I think he's friends with my neighbour that I sometimes hang out with.

I tell him more about Adele and what she's like. They already got to experience her hospitality a little, but they haven't seen the real thing yet. Just wait until she starts to make dinner. It's more like a buffet you'd expect at a five-star resort. Especially now she can cook for four guests instead of just me.

When we get back to the house his friends are sitting outside. I ask them how they like the island so far and offer to take them on a tour if they want to see more. They promise to take me up on that offer and I make my way back to my room upstairs. I really need some time to process what has been happening for the past hours.