Chapter 35

MEGAN

I've been anxious all morning. Checking if the little makeup I have on still looked good, fixing my hair, pulling at my clothes to get them wrinkle free, not that there has been a wrinkle in them since I put them on.

It's not something you do on a daily basis, meeting your older brother that you found out about only two weeks before.

It's only a short walk to the café, I've been there before so I know how to get there. I leave early so I can be the first one there. I'm glad to see that there aren't many people inside. I order my drink and sit down at a table in the back, so we can have some privacy.

Just when a waitress is bringing my drink, I see Owen at the counter. I get anxious again when he walks over to me. I mean, do we hug, do I shake his hand? I'm glad when he gives me a smile and sits down across from me. One awkward thing over, only like a hundred more to go.

We quickly go over the basic introduction. All I know about him is what he sent me two weeks ago. It's almost like those first lecture introduction, tell the class three interesting things about yourself. I'm glad that he seems to be equally nervous and we can actually laugh about how crazy his is. He tells me about his degree, his girlfriend and his job, he works at a publisher's in London. The conversation flows easier than I expected. It's like we've known each other for years. Talking to him is nice. Even though we look like each other, our personalities are completely different. He was the party animal, popular kid all through school and university. He says the only reason he managed to graduate and get his degree, was because of his girlfriend.

He asks me about Greece and our grandparents. I tell him about my first time going to Santorini and meeting yaya. i talk about the island for what feels like an hour. Sharing all of my experiences with the people there. I tell him everything about yaya and what she told me about my grandfather.

"I don't want to make this awkward but maybe we should talk about your grandparents' inheritance."

"They're yours too, Owen. You're just as much related to them as I am."

"Still, it feels different. I never met them, I've never been to the house, nor the island."

"Doesn't mean we don't have the same rights legally."

"Well, we do, but I have an idea and I hope you agree with it. Does the house have special meaning to you?"

"I love the house. It's amazing. I went to look at it two weeks ago, I loved all the time I spend there during the summers."

"I want to give you the house."

"You what? Are you sure?"

"Yes, the house means something to you, to me it's just a house. We split the money and you get the house. As long as I can spend some holidays there, it's yours."

"Are you sure, Owen? You have the same rights I do."

"I know, but I want you to have it. You love the house and I won't be able to spend a lot of time on it anyway."

I don't even know how often I say thank you to him. The house really does mean a lot to me and now it's mine. I can actually remodel it the way I want to. I can spend all summers in my own house on the island. This is going to be amazing.

Owen and I agree to meet up again tomorrow to legally sign the inheritance acceptance as we agreed on today.

As soon as I get home, I call Matthew.

"Hey baby! How did it go with Owen?"

"The house is mine!"

"What?! That's amazing Megan!"

"I know! He says that since I actually want the house, I can have it as long as he can use it sometimes for vacation. And we'll split the rest."

"So you're a houseowner now? And rich. God did I get lucky with my girlfriend."

"All you need to do is marry me and you'll be set for the rest of your life."

"One day I'll marry you, but not for your money, baby."

"How sweet of you. How're things going with Louis?"

"Fine, he seems to be even more energetic than he normally is, but we manage. Maybe I should just give him a little less sugar."

"That might me something to start with. Especially with the baby coming home soon."

Matt tells me about his day with Louis. Louis even joins him at a certain point, telling me all about their trip to the park earlier. I'm excited to meet him in a few days and to finally hug Matt again. Although we talked almost every day since he left, I miss feeling his arms around me. I managed to get my flat ready for the most part. I'm glad I left everything clean so all I needed to do was dust everything and do some shopping. Since my flat is ready for action, I can stay with Matt and his family until uni starts again in three weeks. Emma and David asked me to stay with them, I think they're happy to have Matthew and I keep Louis busy so they can focus on their new-born girl.

I'm happy to help them out. I'm not the best chef, but Adele taught me enough to be able to make decent meals and I can help out around the house. It wouldn't feel right to stay with them for a few weeks and not do anything to help.

After ending the call with Matthew I sit down in front of my window and think about the last time I sat here, the day before I flew to Greece. Suddenly it hits me how much my life has changes within three weeks, I cannot believe it's only been that short. I suddenly have a brother. I have a house in Santorini. I have a boyfriend. I have made new friends. I cannot wait to see what the rest of the year will be like.