Chapter 23

MEGAN

I'm not kidding that Matthew almost made me cry with his words. Never has anyone told me something like that. And he meant it. I could see it in his eyes. I knew my feelings for him went deep, but he just blew me away and stole my heart while he was at it.

We spent some more hours on the banket watching the view from the cliff, eating the food Cate and Niko brought for us. It's all the dishes I have ordered before. I love the food at the bistro and the fact that Matthew cared enough to reach out to them to bring my favourite food...

We stay cuddled up together until the sun becomes too warm on our skins. Both of us must be sweaty and I wouldn't be surprised if I smelled, but I don't even care at the moment. Having Matthew this close to me, feeling the heat of his body next to mine, that makes up for everything. And maybe the smile on his face. He hasn't stopped smiling since we started eating and I'm not mad about it. He has a beautiful smile and I hope I get to see it many, many more times.

We drive the car back to the house and Matthew goes take a shower while I tell Adele everything. Growing up without a mother, I never had anyone to talk to about girl stuff. Yaya was more than happy to do that with me and Adele took over without questions three years ago. Sometimes it feels like she really is my grandma. She's so caring and loving, just like yaya. She knew I liked a boy three years ago, but it's time she knows the whole story. I tell her about the flirting, the kissing and him asking me out. She calls me an idiot for not getting at least a first name three years ago, but she also says it's destiny that we ran into each other again.

Matthew is done in the bathroom by the time I finish telling Adele everything. I shower quickly, deciding to let my hair air dry, I'll just deal with it tomorrow. I hear Matthew talking to someone when I come back downstairs, but I cannot see anyone. I find him sitting at the dining table with his laptop. From the conversation I get that he's facetiming his mum and brother. I stay out of his way, but when he looks up and smiles at me, I hear his mum ask who's there and if it's me. He motions for me to come sit next to him.

I have a ten second panic attack before I move and sit down on the other chair. The women on the screen smiles at me happily. Matthew looks exactly like his mum. I see his little brother running around in the background, clearly not impressed.

"So you're the girl that put a smile on my boy's face."

"Mumm... don't embarrass me like that."

"Don't whine Matt. I don't get to see you smile like that often. I just want to thank this lovely lady for making you happy."

I wasn't planning the meeting the parents thing any time soon. Maybe because I don't have parents I want to introduce Matthew to. But his mum is really nice and we chat for a while.

"You're welcome to stay with us whenever you want, Megan. I'm sure Matt won't mind."

"I will, Emma. You look absolutely gorgeous."

His mum insisted on me calling her Emma. She looks really good, with only a few weeks left before having to give birth. Matthew makes sure they are okay and that his mum is feeling well. It's heart-warming to see him being this caring to his family. Before he ends the call, he quickly chats with Louis and promises to bring him a great gift.

"I need your help, Megan. As you just heard, I made a promise to come home with gifts, but I have no idea what to get here."

"We can go to the shops tomorrow. Can't be that hard to find something."

When the sun starts setting a few hours later we climb out of the window to sit on the rooftop. I haven't done this too often, always being scared to fall off. I brought my camera out with me and Matthew has no other choice than to endure the continuous photos I take of him.

"By now you must have enough pictures of me to line your walls without having to use a single photo twice."

"Good idea, I'll send them straight to the print shop."

"I was kidding."

"And I wasn't."

He gives me a weird look and after a few seconds I cannot hold my laugh anymore.

Even when the sky is pitch black, we remain outside. We look up some constellations online and try to spot them in the sky. I have never been good at it, but Matthew point out a few. Just spending these hours, lying next to each other on the roof, it's the best I've felt in a while.

Everything with him feels so easy. I could never tell people what my type in guys was, but if anyone would ask me now, I'd describe Matthew. He's everything I wanted and more. 

AN-
Making heart eyes at the screen right now

AN-Making heart eyes at the screen right now