Chapter 30

MATTHEW

"Let's bake some cakes people."

"Ehm, Matty, these recipes aren't for normal cakes. Check this out. This is for Baklava, I love eating it, but it looks way too complicated for me to make. These are some French things, I cannot even pronounce it."

"That will be eclairs. Difficult dough to make, but easier once you've got the hang of it. Baklava must be doable, I've made it with Adele before. Let me see the rest."

Megan quickly goes through the recipes. "No problem. This is just chocolate cake and this is a cherry pie."

"Oh, easy. I make those things daily. Not."

"Don't be dramatic Logan. You three can start with the cherry pie, it's the easiest. I'll make the dough for the eclairs. Just follow the recipe and try not to make a mess."

If we would have listen to her and followed the recipe without distracting each other, it wouldn't have been the mess we made.

"Megan, something's wrong with our dough."

"No, Evan, something is wrong with you boys. Just add the eggs and the dough will be fine."

I love seeing Megan this bossy. Normally I'm not into the whole bossy vibe, but she makes it look cute. She's focussing on the pastries she's making, her face all serious as she works.

Megan is already working on the baklava by the time we're done with the cherry pie. I think being with the three of us only slowed us down. It was almost like being back in high school. We would joke around, annoying everyone around us. The only off side now is the fact that we're annoying Megan. Although she can laugh about most of the things we do.

We offer to clean the kitchen since we made most of the mess anyway. We have to wait until the oven is free again before we can make the chocolate cake. Evan and Logan were more than happy to leave that to us and already headed to the beach.

"So, I had this idea. Since mum is due shortly after I get back home and you're meeting with Owen around that time, I was hoping that after you'd want to come to our place. You could stay until uni starts again."

"I'd love to but won't it be too crowded for your mum?"

"It was her idea actually. The house is big enough, you can stay in my room."

"I can help out. Maybe cook some days."

"We can do it together, I'm sure David will be glad that he won't have to cook every day. And if you like we can watch Louis most days, so mum and David can spend time with the baby."

"Yeah, I'd love that. Louis is the cutest."

"I'll let mum know."

"Do you want to start the chocolate cake already?"

"Sure. I cannot wait to taste everything."

We get started mixing everything. We work together well. I mix everything while Megan throws in more if the ingredients.

Cleaning everything doesn't go without licking the beaters and smearing some batter on Megan's face, which she is more than happy to rub onto mine.

When we get to the beach, Niko, Cate and another girl are sitting with Logan and Evan. I remember Niko telling us about his girlfriend a while back and that she was coming to visit him this summer, so this must be her.

Megan and I introduce us to her and all of us talk about the island and university for a bit. I'm not really paying attention to most of the conversation. Megan's sitting between my legs, leaning into me. Her hair moves on the flow of the air every now and then, the smell of her shampoo hitting me every time again.

The scent of her hair is one that I grew very familiar with and it makes me feel so at ease. Every night when I fell asleep next to her I nuzzled my nose into her neck, smelling that sweet scent. It's intoxicating just like her vanilla perfume.

I cannot stop my mind from thinking about how things will be in a week, or in a month when I cannot spend all day around Megan anymore. Not waking up to the smell of her shampoo. Not being able to wrap my arms around her waist and snuggle into the crook of her neck.

We will probably see each other every two or three weekends, and we'll both be busy during the week, but it still feels like leaving something behind in some way. I'll definitely miss the endless sunny days.

When the girls are talking about the best places to visit on the island, I find an opportunity to talk to Niko alone. I know he had to do long distance with his girlfriend for a few weeks, it won't be the same for Megan and I once life starts again soon, but maybe he has something useful to say about it.

"I don't know, man. I mean, we spend quite some time together at uni so of course I missed that those few weeks, but I also knew I would see her again at the end of the summer. We texted a lot and stuff."

"Yeah, and we'll see each other every few weeks hopefully."

"You'll be fine. Megan is great at keeping in touch with all of us during the year and we don't see each other for eleven months a year. And you'll have the prospect of seeing her again soon, that's what really helped me get through the summer."

I hope Niko's right. I don't doubt our communication skills and I'm sure we'll call and text a lot. What I am afraid of is our daily schedules getting in the way. I'll be busy with my internship, she'll be taking a full load of courses and shifts at the coffee shop.

I know it won't always be easy. What in life isever easy? But I just hope I'm worrying for no reason. I love her too much. Icannot imagine my life without her and it scares the hell out of me.