23: Boy's Winnowing Galas-Fitz

"Guys! Let's go! The girls are gonna be here any minute!" Fitz yelled.

     "Okay!" Dex called back at Fitz.

     The boys were getting ready for their Winnowing Galas at Candleshade, and were ready to show the girls their party would be at least 10 times better. Of course, there was no competition...right?

      The girls had their party a few days prior, and their decor was as beautiful as their outfits and makeup. Fitz was determined to show Sophie, Linh, Marella, and Biana that they were better!

     Gosh, Fitz thought to himself, I sound like a Level One. Competitions. Fitz rolled his eyes at himself. Scratch all he thought before, now he would just have fun.

     And he almost made himself believe that when Dex said, "We're totally gonna rock this party."

      Fitz couldn't help but come back to competing when Keefe agreed, saying, "And it'll be better than the girls, right?"

     "Right," Fitz smirked.

     "Hey, hey, hey, that's my signature! Get your own," Keefe whined.

     "You guys are such kids," Tam butted in.

     "Hey guys!" Fitz, Keefe, Dex, and Tam heard suddenly.

     "Oh, hi Biana!" Fitz smiled.

     It was a good thing they had showed up then. The boys had just finished! Their overall design was similar to the girls, but it was less fairytale-like.

     There were black square tables on the sides of the room, stacked with drinks and food. They had tables in the front of the room for each of them with the same purpose as the girls too. There was gold decorations everywhere, along with little orbs of colorful light, like mini disco balls. 

     "This place looks awesome!" Linh said.

     "Yeah, I like it!" Sophie and Marella agreed.

     "Thanks!" The boys all said in unison.

     "Jinx!" They all yelled.

     Soon everyone was laughing. But there was clearly no time for that, as the first few guests started to arrive.

     Fitz went to his post, saying a lot of "thanks for coming"'s and "nice to meet you"'s. But he couldn't find anyone he actually wanted to be with. It was really frustrating, actually. All of Fitz's friends had a girlfriend or a boyfriend, or liked each other, whether they accepted it or not.

     Fitz sighed. That was the problem with an odd number of friends. Fitz waited, and waited, for someone to come up to him. And several did, because hey were there for him. But he had no fun, felt no spark, as he was dancing with them.

     Some girls talked about themselves. Some girls didn't talk at all, they were very shy. (DON'T GET THE WRONG IDEA GUYS!) Some girls tried to make a move on him, and he tried to make it clear that he didn't like them. But then he thought...Well, it wouldn't be so bad to have people like him. Maybe if he spent some time with them he would like them too.

     Suddenly, late to the party but with a face like she really didn't care, a girl walked in. Fitz noticed her immediately, and he was surprised to see he recognized her as the girl who helped him find his suit! And flirted with me, Fitz thought.

     "Hi! Miranda, right?" Fitz said, coming up to her.

She smiled. "Yeah! Hi Fitz!"

"I didn't know you were on my match list," Fitz said with confusion.