Crybaby

"Please just fall asleep. Please." Sean begged their sick toddler. Kaycee was stuck across the country in Japan teaching classes. Then she didn't want to go and leave them behind but Sean insisted she would.

"Ava and I will be fine." He convinced her, "Go have fun in Japan." Well, that didn't go to plan when the day after Kaycee left Ava got sick. The two-year-old couldn't stop crying because of her stomach ache and Sean was stuck taking care of it all on his own.

"Come on baby, you can even sleep with me
tonight just please fall asleep." He whispered.

"My tummy hurts," She whined.

"Your tummy hurts?" He repeated.

"Mhm," she nodded with a big frown on her face.

"I know baby but when you fall asleep you won't even feel it so just go to sleep for daddy please," he begged. She just frowned even more as a tear ran down her face. That just broke his heart.

"I want mommy!" She cried.

"I know you want mommy but she's not here right now but we call her! Yeah, let's call her."He pulled out his phone and face timed her number. When she answered she immediately asked why she was crying.

"Sean, why is she crying?" Kaycee yelled. He had to admit the use of his name frightened him a bit. Especially since they've been married for three years, the use of each other's names was only something Kaycee would bring up when she was mad at him.

He didn't like that.

"Okay well at first she was fine but after you left she got a stomach ache and she won't stop crying." He tried to rush out to maybe make the bad information sound not so bad.

"Babe! I told you to tell me if anything goes wrong. Now I'm across the country and I can't even help. Just point the camera over at her." She groaned. Sean sat the camera in front of Ava so she could see her mom. Ava immediately stopped crying and leaned forward to get a better look at the screen with her mom.

As Ava was distracted, Sean snuck off to make a bottle for her quickly. When Sean came back she found Ava now smiling and Kaycee on the other end calmed down and less stressed. Ava looked at Sean and the bottle when he came back into the room and reached both of her hands out for it. Sean passed it to her while picking up the phone.

"It's been like two minutes how did you even-" "I've got to go I love you both. Bye!!" Kaycee waved before hanging up the phone. Sean was left dumbfounded at how Kaycee was able to calm down their crying child in two minutes over the phone after struggling to do so over the past hour.

When he noticed her bottle was finished he picked her up with it and brought her downstairs to put it in the sink.

"Okay well, you need to get your diaper changed." Sean laughed as he head into her room/ the nursery. After changing her, he went back into the room he shared with his wife. Sean carefully made sure to place her down with ease since she had finally fallen asleep after he went through hell.

He changed out of his normal day clothes and into some pajama pants with no shirt and climbed in next to her, not bothering any of her peace. Sometimes he wondered how Kaycee was so good with their child and why he couldn't be as good. Of course, just like everyone says it's just mothers instinct,' but it sometimes worried him. Got him stuck up in his thoughts that maybe he wasn't fit for the fathering life.

He knew it wasn't true... but he couldn't help but wonder.

He lied down next to her. Almost immediately it was like she felt him there and rested her head on his arm. She always slept best when she was touching Sean or Kaycee in any way. He hugged onto her before realizing the switch for the lamp was on the side she laid on's nightstand and not his.