8 - Suspicions

The rest of the week had gone by rather quickly for the two agents. By Friday afternoon they had decided to have dinner with Henry and Kai at JJ's place. They left the BAU together, walking down to their cars and driving home separately. JJ wanted to cook by herself, so Emily made her way to her own apartment to tell Kai about their dinner plans. She opened the door, placed her keys on the little hook in the doorway, took of her shoes and walked towards Kai's bedroom. The room was empty, she called out Kai's name thinking that she was just somewhere else in their apartment.

No answer, she pulled her phone out of her pocket. Kai's classes ends at 3, she should have been home at least an hour ago, Emily thought. She called Kai, one ring, two rings, three rings, call disconnected.

She tried again, one ring, two rings, three rings, call disconnected.

Again, one ring, two rings, three rings, call disconnected. 

--

"I'm so sorry" Kai said.

I'm at a job interview, stop calling mom

Emily let's go of the breathe she's been holding. With the constant reoccurrence of Felix, she's been extra vigilant when it comes to Kai.

------

"Mom, I'm home" Kai calls out as she closes the door behind her.

Emily walks out from her bedroom to greet her daughter in the front hall.

"Hey, I'm so sorry. I totally forgot that you told me you had that interview. I didn't ruin your chances did I?" Emily asks, honestly feeling terrible about possibly spoiling the first job Kai may ever have.

"No, you actually sort of helped. Ironically. That bookstore is owned by a young lady, like probably not that much older than you, and it's been run by her mom, and grandmother, great grandmother. So I bunch of desperate calls from my mom..." Kai explained

"She didn't see it as inappropriate, but family-like."

"Yeah"

"That's good. You don't have any other plans tonight do you?"

"Not tonight, why?" Kai asks.

"JJ invited the two of us to have dinner with her and Henry. I sort of already said yes for the both of us." Emily explains.

"Cause you like her" Kai teases, "when?"

"Very funny, in about 20 minutes," Kai turns and walks to her room but Emily stops her, "wait, did you get the job?"

"Oh, I don't know yet. She had one more person to interview, but she said she'll call later tonight." Kai informs her mother.

--

"Hey buddy, do you wanna help me put the plates on the table?" JJ asks her son who is entertaining himself with Legos.

"Yeah!" He exclaims, standing straight up from the ground.

"Ok then can you put all your Legos back in the bin, and put it back in your bedroom" she says, instructing her 5 year old son on what to do.

As he does that, she places three ceramic plates on the table, and sets out a plastic plate, and utensils out for Henry to put on the table. He runs out and sets everything up on the small circular table. JJ adds three tall glasses and hands Henry his smaller plastic one. Henry goes back into his room wanting to continue playing with his toys before dinner. JJ finishes up the food, right as she hears a light knock on the door.

------

"Momma, I'm done. Can I go play?" Henry asks, Kai smiles at the young boy and Emily thinks back to the time when Kai was that young.

"Yeah. Put your plate in the sink and wash you hands, the stool is on the side of the island." JJ replies. Henry does as asked and runs to his bedroom, "Henry watch!..... out" JJ attempts to warn her son before he runs straight into the wall.

"I'm ok!"

JJ sighs and reminds Henry to walk, she turns back around and is met with Kai's smile, just before she and Emily bust out laughing. JJ joining in, only because Emily's laugh is something she can't seem to ignore. It just makes her happy, she doesn't know why, but she can't help it.

"You should see him on sugar" JJ adds as the laughter does down.

"Children's alcohol" Emily states, "I'd give you one lollipop, you'd bounce off the walls for hours"

"Really?"

"I gave Kai her first lollipop when she was about 2. We were still at Bailey's then," Emily starts her story, switching between who she is directing the message to even though she is telling both the story, "I didn't give you another piece of candy 'til we moved to the states."

"I bet he's still running off the obvious amounts of sugar Penelope gave him last weekend." JJ says.

Kai was about to make another comment, when her phone started ringing. She pulls it out, "it's the bookstore, one sec", she gets up and walks down the hall towards the kitchen.

JJ looks towards Emily with a confused face, " she had a job interview today"

"Ah"

"You know she's sort of on to us. This." she whispers.

"How so?"

"She's had the thought that I've liked you since the party at Rossi's. I mean she was right but I denied it, and she brought it up again before we came over."

"We could-" JJ starts but again is cut off as Kai walks back, with a huge smile on her face.

"I'm assuming that means you got the job" Emily says, waving her finger, pointing to Kai's grin.

"Yeah!" Kai said sitting back down.

"That's great, congrats." JJ said, slowly reaching her hand under the table over to Emily's leg, placing it slightly above her knee. Emily reaches down and links hands with her.

A/N Kai has spidie senses. (Is that how you spell spidie, idk, idc)