21 - Fight

*One month later*

Emily pulls her pyjama shirt over her head and steps out of the bathroom. JJ's finishing up putting the sheets back on the bed, Emily grabs the duvet and brings it over.

She throws it onto the bed, "so are you thinking of calling your mom?" JJ asks as they pull the duvet over the top of the bed.

"What?"

"You got her number in Seattle a month ago, are you going to call her?" JJ reiterates.

Emily walks over to grab her naked pillow and pillow case, "can I be honest?"

"Always"

"I only took her number because you told me I should." Emily explains.

"So you don't even want to talk to her?" JJ asks.

"Why do you care if I do or don't talk to my mom!?" Emily exclaims.

"It would give you an opportunity to resolve things with her" JJ explains.

"You have problems with your mom too, do you really want to try to fix things with her!"

"Ever since I became a mother, sort of. But I'm not the one sitting with her number on my phone being to cowardly to call her" JJ retorts, talking before she thinks.

Emily drops her pillow on the bed, "wow, that's rich. You know, suddenly I'm not feeling too tired. I'm gonna go watch a movie or something, don't wait up. I think I'll make the couch my bed tonight."

"No Em" JJ says running around the bed in an attempt to stop her. Emily walks right past JJ, "Emily" she whispers. JJ puts her head in her hands, sitting down on Emily's side of the bed. Why, why would you say that. She lays down on top of the covers, placing her head on Emily's pillow. Freshly washed but still having a slight scent of Emily's hair.

--

JJ wakes up, still in the exact same spot as before, she checks her phone. 12. Only an hour after Emily went downstairs, she gets up and quietly walks down to the living room. She turns the corner into the room to see the tv off, the remote still on the tv stand. She looks over on the sectional couch and sees Emily fast asleep. She walks over and sits down next to Emily, her legs are up on the ottoman that was pulled flush to the couch. She's sitting up but her head is leaning on a stack of blankets that sits next to her in the corner of the couch. JJ sits cross-legged on the other side of the corner, she picks up Emily's hand and places it on top of her knee, so she can fully cross her legs. Emily's hand sits open palm up, JJ lightly places her hand on Emily's. She pulls her right leg out of the cross and puts it out straight, her toes slightly touching Emily's. She brushes away a hair that had fallen into Emily face with her free hand, and lays her head down on the bunch of blankets. Falling back asleep next to Emily.

--

Emily wakes up, she sits back up to see JJ's hand in hers. JJ wakes up from the movement, slowly sitting back up and realizing that Emily was awake. She quickly pulls her leg in and sits cross-legged again.

"Em, I'm so sorry. I .. I wasn't thinking you're-" JJ starts saying frantically.

"I know. I over reacted" Emily admits.

"No, you didn't. You're not being cowardly." JJ says, as she fully grabs onto Emily's hand with both of hers.

"I sort of am though. I'm worried I'm just going to prove her right." Emily admits.

"Prove her right about what?" JJ asks.

"Can you release my hand, I think you're cutting of circulation," Emily says.

"Oh sorry" JJ let's go of the tight hold she had, but continues to hold Emily's hand with less force.

Emily continues, "when I told her it was Felix that got me pregnant, she said that he'd never stay for the pregnancy or the baby. That the only way he'd stay was if we got engaged, and then married when we turned 18", she looks down to her lap, recalling the terrible conversation.

"Em," JJ says, "that's not something you could have controlled. And he would have left even if you did get engaged at 15, once he realized you weren't interested in him, he would have bolted."

"You know there's something I never told you about her. When I was 17 she called me to come back home so she could talk to me. Kai had turned 2 about a week before, she asked me to bring her but I didn't want to" Emily says.

Emily walks into her mother large house, she escorted by one of the many people who worked for her mother, to her mother's office. She stepped in the room she was never allowed in when she was younger, the door was closed behind her by the worker. She expects the first thing her mother would do is say hello, or at the very least be somewhat nice. But like the rest of her life, that was obviously not the case.

"People are talking about me because you dropped out of school, Emily" Elizabeth said. Although Emily had left the preppy school that her mother had put her in, at the end of her 2nd semester in the 10th grade to care for her newly born child, but by the next September she was back in a public school, and despite the break she was still on track to graduate with the rest of the students her age.

"Mot-" Emily attempts to speak.

"I have a plan for you. You'll come back and live here, I have made arrangements for you to finish your highschool education by mid-August, and have you set up to attend Oxford in September." Elizabeth says, as if Emily was someone who worked with or for her mother.

Emily realized that her baby, Bailey, would only be a little over 2.5 years old by September, "and what about my daughter?" She asks.

"I have a plan for that too. I can make sure that the press reports that you left home and school these last 2 or so years for a private reason, and that any pictures that could have been taken of you when you were pregnant are fake. Photoshop is on the rise. And I'd raise that little girl, explain that I adopted her because you are soon to be off in the world and wanted another child" she explains.

Emily objects, immediately.

"Absolutely not, I'm not going to let you do that" she says, getting slightly angry. Her one goal as a mother was to never let her daughter have a mother like Elizabeth.

"Emilia, you are a rebel child who doesn't follow rules and hasn't graduated high school. That baby would never amount to anything with you as her mother"

"And then I just left. That was the last thing my mother ever said to me." Emily says to JJ, some tears brimming both of their eyes.

JJ blinks hers away, and says "Em, you know she's wrong, right?"

Emily continues looking down, JJ leans forward and puts her finger under Emily's chin, lifting her face.

"Hey, look at me," JJ says quietly, Emily looks directly at her, "you graduated high school,  and university and became a Unit Chief in the FBI, all while raising a kid. Who is in university, and eventually going to be a really great author. And through all your moving around, you made sure Kai never felt invisible. You proved her wrong."

A/N You are welcome for their fight not going on longer than just one chapter, also I couldn't bear writing more than one chapter of them fighting soooo yeah.