Chapter 32 - Under the Stars

Scarlett

I couldn't even go near him after what he did to me. I was so nervous that I would give in each time he tried. I made it so easy for him, and I don't know why.

It was our third day in Hawaii. The second day went by really quick, as I tried to avoid James the whole day mostly. Everytime we were together I could feel his intense stare. The fact that I know he wants me intimidates me to the core.

It was night time – specifically 12:00am. I was sitting on the couch when I heard a knock at the door.

I wonder who that could be...

I opened the door and almost completely shut it again once I saw who it was.

James pushed his hand against the door so I wouldn't close it on his face.

"Hey, Scarlett." He sounded tired, stressed.

"H-Hi." I gulped. Why am I so nervous?

"Can we talk? I can't sleep."

I nodded slowly and moved to the side so he could walk in.

Once he was in my room, he stopped and stared at me.

I furrowed my eyebrows. "What are you-'' I looked down and noticed I wasn't wearing pants, and rather just a long t-shirt with underwear.

"Oh my god!" I shrieked, pulling my shirt all the way down until it couldn't stretch any more. "I'm sorry, let me put on some pants."

"I'd prefer if you didn't." His smirk intimidated me even more.

"Don't say stuff like that."

He took a step closer to me. "Why? I know you like it."

I glared at him. "I hate it."

James didn't seem phased, though. "Sure."

I changed the subject. "Why are you here?"

"I can't sleep, and I'd figured you'd be up. I also missed you."

My cheeks turned red.

"It's really nice outside so go sit on the balcony. We can talk there. I'm going to put on some pants."

He nodded and went out to the balcony while I changed. Then I joined him.

James was staring up at the sky.

"This place is so amazing," he whispered.

The stars reflected off his green orbs, making his eyes sparkle under the moonlight. I watched in fascination.

He looked so... beautiful.

James looked at me. "Is something wrong?"

I quickly looked up. "N-No. Nothings wrong."

"The night is so unbeliveably quiet. It just makes everything so peaceful, don't you think?" he asked me.

I nodded, taking in the view.

"Besides you, Scarlett, I think the night is one of the most beautiful things."

My heart stopped.

I was drunk on his words and the moonlight. I wanted to tell him so many secrets for no reason.

What was happening to me?

"Can you tell me a little bit about your birth parents?" James asked out of the blue.

"Why?"

"I'm curious about you. You know that."

How surprising it feels to have someone want to know all about the worlds inside you.

I told him with no second thought.

"My birth mom gave me up when she was really young. She was still in her early teenage years. She couldn't take care of me which is tragic. I have no idea who or where my father is; he could be in jail for all I know."

"Oh, I see."

"What about your dad?" I asked.

James sighed. "My father died a couple years ago. My mom met my stepdad a year later. I miss him. My mom says he died from cancer, but I don't believe her. He was completely healthy before he died, but I'm not going to fight her on it. I just wish he was here for me instead of my horrible stepdad."

"I'm very sorry to hear that," I told him. I rose my hand and placed it on his back to comfort him. He sighed in relaxation.

I looked up at the sky. "You know, that's why I'm afraid of falling in love. Because the people you love the most always leave. Your soulmate will end up dying and you'll be all alone. Don't get me wrong, I've been alone all my life, but how do you go from being completely in love to completely alone?"

"I think when you love someone, you won't care about that stuff because you'll be so in love with them. Of course everyone dies, but wouldn't you rather die knowing you got to experience a love that others long for, instead of rather being alone?"

I was intrigued by him. I've never felt this way before for him.

"I never thought of it that way..." I said in shock. It's true, I did want love. I've always just been deathly scared of it.

He looked me in the eyes. "The right love will find you one day, trust me."

I stared into his starry eyes. Perhaps it already has.

"Yes, I think you may be right."

"I am right. Can I ask you something?"

"Yes," I replied.

"You've spent a lot of time with me over the past couple months. I'm just curious to know if you still believe those bull shirt rumors about me are true?"

He's right. I've spent a lot of time with him one-on-one. And just from the past couple months, I can tell he isn't who I thought he was. He isn't the "player" everyone at school labeled him to be.

"I believe you," I said truthfully. It didn't take me a single second to know that he was being honest. I trusted him for no reason, and that scared me.

"Good." He sighed in relief. "Out of everyone in this world, your the last person I would want to think of me in that hideous way. I'm a good guy, I promise."

I giggled. "I know, I know."

"Can I say one more thing?" he asked.

"Go ahead, I'm all ears."

"I would like to eat you again."

I felt a pulse from down there as my cheeks burned red.

"Time for y-you to go." I couldn't stop stuttering. He was able to make me feel like this just with words, and it drove me mad.

I ushered him off the balcony and out my front door.

"Wait but-''

"Have a goodnight, try some tea if you still can't sleep!" I closed the door on his face and ran to my bed.

Throwing myself on my bed, I covered my face in embarrassment. I didn't realize he wanted to do it again.

I didn't want to admit it, but I wanted him to.

I fell asleep to the thought of him.

And woke up to the thought of him.

I guess I don't entirely hate him.