Chapter 33 - No More Pretending

WARNING: smut. read at your own risk.

Scarlett

James took me out to a fancy restaurant called Javier's. His parents stayed at the hotel to have a movie night with Thomas and insisted that James and I got out and treated ourselves.

I offered to pay but James refused.

"Thank you for bringing me along," I thanked James as the waiter set down our waters. "I really appreciate all your family has done for me."

James held his hand up, refusing to accept my thank you. "Thank you not necessary. You are basically apart of the family."

James leaned in.

"One day, you and I should travel somewhere, just the two of us."

My cheeks turned red. "W-Why?" Damn it. Why are you stuttering?

He shrugged. "It's obvious you like me back, so when we start dating we should go places."

My eyes widened in shock. "I...I've never admitted that I like you, and I never will."

His smirk told me all I needed to know.

It's true, he was slowly growing on me. I couldn't hide it for much longer.

James eyed me up and down. "You look beautiful tonight, did I say that?"

I couldn't hold back my smile. "Yes, you said that about ten times on the ride over here."

"Sorry, I just can't help it."

Say it again, please.

Shortly after the drinks came, the food was served.

"Here are your enchiladas, ma'am." The waiter set down my food.

"Thank you."

The waiter stared at me for a moment.

"Forgive me, but may I just say you are stunning."

"Oh, thank you," I shyly responded.

I wasn't looking at James, but I could tell from across the table he was fuming.

"Are you two dating?" the waiter said out of no where.

I spoke quickly. "No. We are just friends."

That seemed to please him. "Perfect! Here's my number, if you ever want to see me." He winked and handed me a folded piece of paper.

"Bro, give me my damn food," James huffed, impatient because the whole time the waiter was holding James's hot plate.

"Here. Enjoy," he said before walking away.

When the waiter was out of hearing, I giggled.

"Wow. That was funny, don't you think?" I looked at James who was looking down at his food, shoveling with anger.

"Yeah, whatever," he mumbled in between bites.

James didn't speak for the rest of the time. It was an awkward and silent dinner.

***

The walk back to my hotel room was as silent as dinner.

"Goodnight," James said as I opened my hotel room door.

"Wait."

He stopped, turned to face me.

"What's wrong? Why are you acting like this?"

He bit his lip. "You know why."

"Say it."

James stepped inside my hotel room with me.