Chapter 9 - Do You Want Me

Scarlett

It was about 8:30 in the morning. The birds were chirping loudly from the tree right outside the window in my room. It annoyed me so much at how loud they were chirping.

Out of annoyance, I tossed the covers off of me and walked to the window. Opening the window, I screamed "shut the fuck up, birds!"

As you can tell I am not a morning person.

They all scattered in different directions. I smiled at my accomplishment at succeeding at getting them to go away.

I guess it didn't really matter if they left since I had to get up anyways and start breakfast for Thomas. His mother said he usually wakes up at around 9:30am on the weekends, so I have an hour to get everything set up.

I opened my bedroom door and walked down the vast hallway and into the kitchen.

Not expecting to see anyone, I jumped when I saw James at the kitchen counter – wearing no shirt may I add.

"Good morning," I yawned.

James turned around. "Hey, good morning. You look great." I could sense the laughter in his tone.

I didn't look great. I looked horrible. My hair was so big and messy that it looked like a birds nest. I didn't really have that good of sleep last night.

"Shut up," I groaned, not in the mood for his jokes.

"There's dark bags under your eyes. Did you have good sleep? Are you all right?" he asked me.

"I'm fine."

"You don't look fine."

"Then stop looking."

Challenge danced in his eyes. "Someone's feisty. I like it."

What kind of game was he playing?

"I'm not feisty, I just don't like you."

He grinned. "Sure. Keep telling yourself that."

I sat on the bar chair. "Fine. I will."

We sat in silence for about five minutes. I watched as he got the pancake batter and pan out. I watched him turn on the stove.

"I could have cooked breakfast for all of us. After all, I'm being paid to be here," I commented out of no where.

"I am cooking breakfast for you, but not Thomas."

I frowned. "Why only me?"

"Because you're the guest, and he knows how to make pancakes."

Is that the only reason? I thought as I watched him flip the pancake.

When he turned around to look at me, I instantly averted my gaze, focusing on the floor.

I frowned when I took notice of what was on the floor. "Why is your shirt on the floor, James?"

He took his attention off me and looked at the spot on the floor. "It's really hot down here so I took it off."

"Hot? Hot?" I emphasized. "It is freezing!"

"Do you want one of my hoodies?" he offered.

"Just tell me where your blankets are and I'll go get one."

He frowned. "Why don't you want my hoodie? Don't all girls like hoodies?"

I mean it is true, I do like hoodies. But my legs were also cold and I wanted something that could wrap around my entire body.