Chapter 21 - November 28

Scarlett

I've never liked birthdays.

Every birthday I wait for something in particular; a birthday card from my birth mother. My adoptive parents told me that when I was a baby, my birth mom promised to send a card every year just to check in and know she cares.

She's never sent one.

But today, I have hope she will. I can only believe.

I woke up to the sound of my phone dinging with messages. People that I didn't even consider friends were texting me, wishing me a a happy birthday. It was nice to receive these text, but it never made me smile.

My door creaked open and my mother walked in.

"Happy seventeenth birthday, my angel." Her smile was bright.

"Thank you, mom."

My mom sat down on the edge of my bed. In her lap was a little box.

I eyed the box. "You know you didn't have to get me a present."

My dad walked in a few moments later and stood next to my mom.

"Of course we did. Now open up your present."

I took the box and when I opened it, I couldn't believe my eyes.

"Are you serious?!" I cried, thinking it was unreal.

My mother and father looked at eachother with the biggest smiles on their faces.

Inside the box was a car key to the brand new car they got me.

"I can't even believe it!!" I could barely speak. I was so thankful for my amazing parents.

"Why don't you go look outside," my mother said and immediately I ran out of my room.

Once I opened the garage door, I couldn't believe my eyes.

In the driveway there was a white 2020 Jeep Wrangler with a huge red bow on the hood of the car. At first I didn't even notice Cassidy, Ian, and Chase standing around the car.

Happy tears were streaming down my face. "What are you guys doing here?" I asked them once I realized they were there.

"We wanted to suprise you," Chase said.

I noticed they were all holding notes in their hands.

"We wrote you cards to get your mind off of..." she stopped, but I knew what she was implying.

To get my mind off the fact my biological mother has never taken the time to reach out to me...even on my birthday.

I ran up and hugged all of them at the same time. "Thank you guys so much for the cards.! You guys are the best friends I could ever ask for!!!"

They all hugged me just as hard in return.

"We want to take you for lunch," Ian said.

We all stopped hugging.

"Oh...are you sure? I feel bad to take time out of all of your days I-''

Chase wrapped his arm around me. "Nonsense. It's your birthday. Let us have some fun with you."

I smiled. "Okay. Let's go!"

Before I left I ran up to my parents and hugged them tighter than I ever have. "Thank you so much for everything you do for me, not just the car. I love you both so much and I'm so grateful for you guys."

They hugged me back. "We love you so much, sweetie. Now go have fun with your friends!"

"Ok! Thanks mom and dad!" I ran off to my friends and decided it was time I start enjoying my birthday instead of letting it drag me down; because there are so many amazing people in my life that love me more than my biological mother ever would.