Chapter 6 - Tell Me Why

Scarlett

"Kyle, can you read the summary on the back of the book?" Mrs. Hall, my English teacher, asked one of the students. We were beginning the first story of the year. Yippee. (notice the sarcasm).

"Sure," the kid replied and started reading.

I turned my book over and began to read it in my head at the same pace as Kyle. He sucked at reading, I realized, when he kept stumbling over his words and not pausing between sentences.

The words on the page were going in one ear and out the other because I had an uncomfortable feeling in my stomach that someone was staring at me.

I turned my head to look at James. I was right.

"Stop staring at me," I barely whispered, almost mute.

"I like the view." His brown hair fell in front of his eyes. I watched as he finger-combed it back out of his face. I gulped.

"What view- just shut up!"

"Make me." He puckered his lips.

A light blush crept onto my cheeks. Why was he acting like this towards me? I couldn't figure him out.

"I've had enough with you." With that said, I kept quiet the whole class period, not daring to look up and catch him staring at me.

When the bell ringed, James picked up my books and held them close to his chest. "Let me carry these for you."

I slapped them out of his hold. "Stop! I'm capable of carrying them myself, thank you very much."

He slung his backpack over his shoulder. "At least you said thank you."

"I didn't mean it like that! Stop talking to me."

I rushed past him and out the classroom door. Unfortunately, he caught up quickly.

I could see the cheerleaders and some of his friends eyeing us weirdly. They probably were confused as to why he was chasing a girl and not the other way around.

"You mad at me, love?" James asked out of the blue.

Man, I hate this kid.

"No, I just don't like you!"

A low chuckle escaped his throat. It was deep, charming and...sexy.

I've never cared about laughs before but his made me feel weird inside.

Weird in a good way.

Butterflies in my stomach. I fought them off.

"And—'' I turned to face him, stabbing my finger in his chest, "—don't call me love!"

Amusement in his eyes ran wild. He thought this was a joke, didn't he?

"Are you mad that you lost your tennis match?"

I didn't respond. I wanted to move but he gently placed his hands on my shoulders, taking control.

"You can't win everything. You're over-reacting."

"I know," I sighed. "But if I loose, I want it to be because of my mistakes, not because some jerk decided to distract me, got it?!"

He smiled, tilting his head.

All my cares were gone just because of his pure smile. His smile made me melt inside, but I couldn't show him that. I didn't like the affect he had on me.

I looked away, avoiding all eye contact.

"How about I make it up to you?"

Huh? "Make what up?"