Chapter 18 - Tension Never Felt Before

Scarlett

The bell rang which signified the end of the school day.

It was Friday. I was supposed to hang out with my friends but I got a last minute call from Mrs. Crawford asking me if I could babysit Thomas.

I could only imagine how irresponsible James would be if he babysat Thomas, so I took the offer.

"How come you can't hangout with us tonight," Ian whined as we walked side-by-side down the sidewalk across from school. Ian had to walk home because he didn't have his car today for a reason I do not know.

"I already told you. I'm babysitting."

"Does the kid have a older sibiling that could watch them?" he asked.

I hesitated. "Um...yeah, but-''

"But what?"

"His older sibiling is irresponsible. And besides, I love babysitting. Unlike his brother, he's really sweet and nice."

Ian looked at me. "His brother? Who's his brother?"

"Uh... ," I scratched the back of my neck, "James."

I looked down at Ian's clenched fists, but nonetheless, he had a smile on his face.

"That sounds fun," Ian mumbled. "Will James be there?"

I shrugged. "He was the last time, but I hope he isn't." This whole being 'friends' with James was kind of new and weird to me. I was hoping I could enjoy the weekend without seeing him.

"Does he know you're going to babysit his brother?" Ian asked.

"His mom probably mentioned it to him."

"Pfft," Ian scoffed rudely. "Then he's for sure going to stay home."

My eyebrows furrowed. "Don't say it like that," I snapped.

He rolled his eyes. "Whatever. The dude's in love with you anyways."

Stopping in my tracks, I turned to face him. "Don't ever fucking say that again, Ian. Nobody is in love with me, and nobody will ever be in love with me, you got that?!"

Ian's eyes sparkled as the cool breeze blew his hair. He didn't say a word, but rather stared at me. His eyes held emotions I never expected to see from him; or maybe I just haven't noticed it before.

"Umm." I felt the awkward tension. "Ian..."

"Is that really what you think?" He sounded hurt.

"It's how I protect myself," I told him softly.

"Someone will fall in love with you one day, and you will be too damn stuck up to realize it." His eyes bored into mine. "Wake up, Scarlett. Not everyone is cruel."

Ian pushed passed me and walked down the empty sidewalk alone.

I peered over my shoulder and saw him stomping away into oblivion.

Ever since James made an appearance in my life, Ian has been acting so strange.

I know Ian never liked James, but his attitude made me believe it was more than just dislike.

***

I got to the Crawford's house at around six o'clock. But now it was eight o'clock and so far James had not been in sight. Thomas told me that James was out with his friends probably doing typical teenage boy stuff.

Meanwhile, Thomas and I were the only ones home so I decided we should go for a swim in their pool. The pool in the Crawford's backyard was a humongous rectangular pool and even the hot tub was big as well. What was even cooler was that the pool had a water slide that was about seven feet tall.