Chapter 5 - Drive Me Once, Shame on You, Drive Me Twice...

Scarlett

With that said, he walked away, leaving me alone in the alley.

I don't know what came over me, but my legs started to move themselves toward the direction James was going.

"Where are you going?" I asked James as he walked away. I don't know why I asked, it's not like I care.

He stopped and turned around. "Why? Wanna come with me?"

My face heated up. "N-No. It's just that..." honestly, I don't know why I wanted to know.

He smirked, his forest green eyes watching me. "Do you have a ride home?"

"I usually walk."

He stepped closer to me, held out his hand. "Come, I'll drive you home."

I looked down at his hand, then up at his face. His parted brown hair blew in the breeze, causing it to fall infront of his face.

"I...can't accept that. It's fine, really, I'll just walk home." Why is he being so nice?

Before I could turn around, he grabbed my hand.

I gasped at the contact. I felt my body tingle with delight, my soul on fire.

"Nonsense, let me take you home."

I was too shocked to speak. My brain was buffering. I didn't like what affect he had on me but before I knew it, I was inside his warm Tacoma truck.

He looked at me, eyes burning through mine. "Where to, Love?"

Did he just call me...love?!?!

"Scarlett? Scarlett!!?"

I gasped, zoning back into reality. "Huh?"

"Finish your cereal," my mother said, noticing I was not focusing.

I grabbed my spoon that sunk to the bottom of my cereal, wiped off the milk with a napkin and continued eating my Honey Nut Cheerios.

My mother watched me closely. "What's on your mind, sweetie?"

I gulped, remembering Friday night after work – how James drove me home, and the touch of his warm hand, the intensity in his eyes.

But I wasn't going to tell her that.

"Nothing. Sorry, I'm just a little tired, that's all," I lied.

She knew something was up. "Right..."

We sat in silence until the sound of a car honking came from our driveway.

I looked at my mom. "Were you expecting someone?"

She shook her head. "No, you?"

"No."

My mom stood up and walked over to the front door.

She opened it then called out to me. "Scarlett, it's actually for you!"

What?

I stood up and ran out the front door, stopping in my tracks when I saw him.

A truck was parked in our driveway, and leaning leisurely against it was no other than James Crawford.

His eyes flickered to me.

In that span of a moment, I couldn't feel myself breath.

"Hey, Scarlett." The sound of my name coming from his mouth sounded different than anyone else would say it. It sounded...nice.