Chapter 8 - Shower

Scarlett

Intimidated. That's exactly how I felt.

Knowing I was in James's house and he was only rooms away from me intimidated me.

I never would know if at any moment he would pop out of nowhere trying to get my attention and distract me from babysitting his little brother. I knew he wanted to since he made it quite obvious that he liked me the other day, and now I can't seem to get that picture out of my mind especially now that I'm at his house with him.

Thomas and I were currently in his room. He was showing me all his trophies he won from all his swim meets and all his other trophies he won from all his soccer matches. I felt a warm feeling in my heart knowing that this kid was very special, unlike James.

Even though I've only been babysitting Thomas for an hour, I've come to realize that James and him are quite different. Although coming to think about it, I can't really say that much about James because I've only experienced what he's been like through the rumors people have shared with me. The rumors people have shared with me are cruel, nasty, things I never would expect out of a teenage boy. Maybe it's why I don't want to be around him that much, because of all the things people have told me.

Or maybe it's why I'm scared. I'm scared of the way he likes me. I'm scared of what will become between us. Although, I hope that will never happen: us.

The whole night babysitting Thomas, James had been up in his room, not avoiding me to say so, but just not engaging with Thomas or I. I prefer this because I knew if he was with us he would distract me, although I would never admit it to his face. Distractions are weaknesses, and he can't know that he's a distraction.

"What shall we do because there's nothing fun in my room," Thomas said after showing me a tour of his room.

We sat on the edge of his bed, staring at the navy wall across from us. What got my attention was that the wall only had one picture frame hung from it. Only one.

I stood up and walked to the picture. When I was in good view, I examined the photo.

"When was this?" I asked Thomas.

He shifted on his bed, now sitting criss-cross applesauce. "A year ago...maybe less."

I nodded slowly, too focused on the photo. In the photo, Thomas was on James's back, as if James was giving him a piggy-back ride. They were on a beach. The sun was shinning high in the blue sky, making the surface of the clear blue water sparkle. There were people behind them, I'm guessing tourist. James and Thomas were both smiling so bright that I could feel my lips twitch.

"You both look so happy," I whispered.

"Yeah, we were super happy until-''

That got my attention. I turned to face him. "Until what?" I urged.

"Until my dad left. I don't want to talk about that anymore."

Why all of a sudden did I feel curious? I wanted to know what happened...badly.

I went back to the the bed and sat next to him. "Ok. Let's not talk about it. What do you want to do? It's–", I checked my phone, "–9:00. You still have thirty minutes until bedtime."

"Awww," he wined.

I shrugged. "Mamma's rules." I playfully tapped his nose and he giggled.