Chapter 20 - The Secret's Out

AUTHORS NOTE: I am SO sorry it's been a long time since I've updated this story. It's been very confusing figuring out school since we had to switch to online because of the coronavirus, so that was my #1 priority. But now that that's figured out, I will be writing again. Thanks for being patient!

James

"You have to tell her, man," I told Chase.

He was a nervous wreck, repeatedly running his hands through his thick hair.

"I know! But...I don't know how."

It was lunch time, and the two of us were sitting in his car because he didn't want to be seen talking to me in public. Weird. Probably because of rumors, as usual.

I pleaded and tried convincing him that we had to talk about this whole Cassidy situation. Jackson was really starting to fall hard for her but I was scared that she was still stuck on Chase.

Plus, Scarlett would not stop nagging me about the whole 'why shouldn't Cassidy like Chase' conversation we had some time back – when I told her it wasn't the right time to speak about it.

"She's one of your closest friends," I said. "I'm positive it will go smoothly, and I know she won't judge you for who you are."

He rose his head to look at me. "You really think she won't judge me?"

I chuckled, astonished by his question. "Are you serious? Why would someone so pure-hearted judge you for being yourself?"

He nodded. "You're right, I suppose."

I patted him on the back. "You can do it!"

Then he turned serious.

"Scarlett is a complicated person," Chase started.

I smirked. "Trust me, I know, but-''

"Shouldn't you be the one worried about what she thinks?"

I blinked. "W-What?"

"Shouldn't you be the one worried about what she thinks of you? I know you're falling for her; anyone can see it. What if you fall in love with her and she never feels the same?"

I gulped. "I'm not in l-love with her-''

His stare caught me off guard. It was like...a warning. "You will."

"Even when you're friends with her, if you guys get in to a fight, it feels like the world is crushing down on you. It makes you realize she is something you never want to lose. That's at least how I felt when Scarlett and I have gotten in to fights in the past."

"Why are you sharing this with me?" I asked him.

Chase stared into my eyes, knowingly. "I'm sharing this with you because I know that you like her a lot – even though you're just friends."

"But-''

I was cut off by the loud noise of the bell, directing us to go back to class.

I couldn't ask Chase anymore questions because once we stepped out of his car, he scurried away.

Raising my eyebrow, I bit my lip with confusion. What the hell was he talking about?

Scarlett

My phone loudly burped a text during the middle of my AP physics lecture.