five -edited-

The rest of the time they built the bikes had continued like this. I drop Bella off, I get glared at by Jacob, I go lose myself in the woods, and get yelled at by dad for disappearing for hours alone. The only thing that was different about the last three days is I decided to text Embry for the first time. He had changed quite a bit, he bulked up, cut off his hair, and got a tattoo. "When'd you do that?" I point to the tattoo as he sits beside me in the tree. "A little while ago." "You're warm, like Sam." I set my hand against his arm, he shivers beneath my touch before turning to me. "You're freezing!" He takes my hands, holding them in his own as my face goes red.

He looks down at me, quickly realizing what he's done, releasing my hands. "I'm s-" I shake my head, carefully leaning against him. "It's fine." "Did you bring your phone so your dad doesn't flip?" I nod, pointing to the bag I had tied to the branch behind me. "Yeah. I just got so tired of being yelled at." He leans his head against mine on his shoulder, our fingers tangled together. It goes silent for a while as my thoughts go wild. "What are you thinking about?" He speaks quietly as if being too loud would ruin the moment. "I'm not even supposed to be here, ya know? I'm supposed to be in Colorado, I'm supposed to be with my grandma." I state, looking up at the sky.

"Why are you here?" "Bella." My eyes well up with tears, I left everything I know in Colorado. I lost all sense of self in coming back here. I'm simply here to make sure Bella doesn't do anything stupid. "I'm glad you're here." He whispers, fingers tightening around my hand. We had been walking around for hours, learning about each other, talking, and now we sit here, basking in the quiet presence of each other. I move closer, holding his hand tighter. "In this moment, so am I." "This moment?" I nod. "Us, together. I feel infinite." The star-filled sky seems brighter, clearer, lovely. I look up at him, his free hand coming up to my cheek.

I lean into his touch, closing my eyes. "You should get home." He whispers, hand coming down, fingers carefully grazing my skin. "I know." I mumble in response. "Come on. We can go slow." He keeps hold of my hand as he drops to the branch below. I sigh, carefully letting go of him, and untying my bag. I notice my phone is ringing as I climb down, so I use one hand to answer, my foot sliding wrong as I do. A scream escapes my lips as I fall until I feel warmth engulf me, a body against my own, and heavy breathing. "Oh fuck." Embry looks down at me, my eyes widening quickly as he sets me down. "How did you-" "Elizabeth!" Someone shouts from the phone on the ground.

Picking it up, I notice it's dad. "I'm fine. It's okay. Embry caught me. My foot slid, I'm fine." "Embry?" I can practically hear his smile as he talks. "Shut up. We'll be home in a little bit." I force a smile back, looking up at a scared-ish looking Embry. I set my hand on his arm causing his eyes to snap down to me. "Is everything okay, Embry?" He nods. "Yeah, everything's good. Come on." I pull the phone back up to my ear. "We'll be there in a bit." "I'll see you later, kiddo." He hangs up as I turn back to Embry. "You sure everything's okay?" He nods, setting his hand on my back. "I really don't wanna go home." I lean against him again, looking up at the sky. "You have to, 'Lizabeth." He skips the 'e' like Jacob does and makes my heart skip a beat.

Embry smirks slightly. "Why the smirk?" I poke his cheek as we walk up to his truck. "Nothing. Hop in." He opens the door, his smirk widening. "Mhm, sure." Halfway through the drive home, I look over at him. "The moonlight makes you look pretty." I mumble, moving closer. He smiles, dropping his right hand to my thigh, and carefully looking over at me. "You look pretty." He counters, squeezing my thigh. We pull up at the same time that Jacob pulls up with Bella. "I'm pretty sure dad has dinner made if you're hungry." I can tell he's about to reject the offer when his stomach rumbles. "Come on." I smile, grabbing his hand. "I don't wanna impose." I shake my head. "He won't mind at all, I promise." His hand tightens on mine as Jacob looks at us with a glare.

My dad looks up as we walk in. "Who's he?" "Embry. I hope it's cool I brought him for dinner." Dad nods as Embry takes my waist, moving me out of the way. I look up at him until Bella smacks my shoulder. "Can I talk to you?" I nod, turning to her. "In the kitchen." She grabs my hand, yanking me away from Embry. "Ow! Je-" She slaps her hand over my mouth, continuing to pull me. "When were you gonna tell me about you and Embry?!" She whisper hisses, her eyes wide. "There's nothing going on!" I huff, walking out. Embry smiles, setting his hands on my waist again. "Dinner done?" I turn to dad, and he nods, motioning to the dining room. Throughout the entire dinner, Jacob watches me, eyes narrowing if I even slightly move too close to Embry.

At the end of the dinner, I walk outside with Embry, my hands shoved in my back pockets. "So-" He cuts me off by grabbing my face and pressing his lips to mine. My eyes go wide before slowly closing. "Why did you do that?" "It's totally clear that you and Jacob are into each other, the way he looks at you when you're not looking. And how jealous he was when you moved closer to me." He smirks, his hands still on either side of my face. "Plus, I just really wanted to do that, I had to know for sure." He kinda mumbles. "Know what?" "Anyway, how's your foot doing? I almost forgot you fell." I shrug, looking down at my foot. "I'm fine. My big question is, how'd you catch me? I was halfway up a tree, Embry." He shakes his head, carefully stepping back. "I gotta go. I'll see you tomorrow." He gets in his truck, his eyes locked with mine before he pulled away. "I'll text you later."