fourteen -edited-

My phone rings, cutting through the thick tension in the room. "Hey, dad, I was just headed home." I lie straight through my teeth, slipping off the counter. "Good, you've got school tomorrow due to not going last month." I chuckle, grabbing my keys. "I'll be there in just a bit." "Better be." He challenges, hanging up. I turn to the boys. "I know you all heard, but I gotta go. I can come back tomorrow?" I kiss Embry's cheek before stepping over to Jacob, kissing his cheek as well, electricity surging through the contact. I pull back quickly as my face goes red. "I uh- I gotta go." I thumb to the door as Jacob stares at me, attempting to lock eyes with me. I shake my head, walking out.

-Third Person Pov not too long before Elizabeth leaves-

Jacob eats, feeling someone's eyes on him, looking up just in time to see Elizabeth's eyes dart to Embry. Jacob's eyes just catch hers, his back straightening as he tries to get a second glance, wanting to know for sure. The air fills thick with tension, her eyes dart to her ringing phone as Jacob catches her eyes, his entire world seems to shift, seems to now revolve around her. His shoulders tense, eyes glaze over, a thick scent filling the room. It was sweet, slightly floral, but mostly just old paper. Her phone continues to ring, cutting through the tension as the rest of the boys watch Jacob, making sure he doesn't do anything too stupid. Elizabeth slides off the counter, taking her keys in her hand.

Jacob's shoulders start to shake when she kisses Embry's cheek but his entire body fills with warmth, electricity courses through his skin when her lips press to his cheek. Elizabeth picks her head up quickly upon feeling it, thumbing to the door. "I uh- I gotta go." She fumbles over her words before shaking her head and walking out. Jacob stands and rushes toward the closed door until someone grabs his shoulders. "Not yet, Jacob." Sam orders, staring at the slightly shaking boy. Jacob yearns to feel her against him again, to feel her lips on his like before, her cold skin against his. The boy straightens up, looking at the man behind him, eyes narrowed.

"I need to-" Jacob starts, trying to get out the door again. "Jacob, no." Sam's voice holds his alpha undertone, his dark eyes daring Jacob to take another step. The wolves stare at each other, each daring the other to do something when Jacob scoffs, shrugging Sam's hand off his shoulder before walking to his room, aggressively slamming the door. He stays in his room the rest of the night, contemplating whether or not to call Elizabeth, just to hear her voice. Elizabeth sits in bed, her phone in hand, trying to figure out if she should call Jacob or not. She knows she won't be able to sleep just like the last week if he's not holding her.

She had gotten so used to Jacob holding her as she slept that now, she can't without him. She shakes her head, muttering under her breath. "I'm not supposed to be around him, especially if Bella finds out I was with him today." She reminds herself quietly, dropping her phone beside her as she turns off her lights. The next morning she's woken up by Charlie knocking loudly at her door. The entire day drags on, as does the week, with little sleep and not a single thing from Jacob. Her energy drains, more and more, slipping the longer she's away from Jacob, never leaving the house except for school. Bella stops Elizabeth from going into her room after school, her arm across her doorway.

"Come with me." She speaks quickly, her chest heaving from running up the stairs. "Where?" Elizabeth huffs, tired from school, and just wanting to sleep. "To Jake's." She shakes her head pushing her sister's arm down. "No. He's sick, Bella. Leave him alone. And it's raining." Bella grabs her arm before she can step into her room. "Please. He's all I have left, Elizabeth." Her voice is pleading as she grabs her sleeve, Elizabeth wants to say no but she can't. "Fine. But he's still sick, so stay away from me if you get it." She pushes past her, walking downstairs and out the door. Bella smiles as she jumps into the driver's seat of her truck as Elizabeth hops into the passenger side. When they pulled up to Jacob's, Elizabeth knew all hell was about to break loose.

Jacob walks through his yard in the pouring rain, with no shirt, just shorts, his now short hair sticking to his forehead. "Jake!" Bella jumps out, slamming her door, Elizabeth follows despite knowing she'll get sick standing in the rain. "Go away." Jacob's voice causes her heart to race and her to stop immediately. "What happened to you?" Bella challenges, grabbing his arm when he turns away. "What happened? Did Sam get to you? Is that what's happening?" The way she says his name practically sets Jacob off. "Sam's trying to help me. Don't blame him. But if you want somebody to blame, how 'bout those filthy bloodsuckers you love, the Cullens."

"I don't know what you're talking about." Bella states, clearly hiding something behind her voice. Elizabeth blocks out the rest of the conversation, turning to see the pack standing in the woods before turning back to Jacob. Her eyes are trained on his but he never looks over, his eyes are trained on Bella. "I can't be here." Elizabeth backs up, stumbling over her words. Her stomach churns at the way Jacob looks at Bella, her fingernails dig into her palms as she turns, trying to avoid hearing Jacob's voice again.

"Go home, and don't come back, or you're gonna get hurt." Jacob snaps, his eyes finally darting to Elizabeth, her chest seems to cave as he speaks, his own heart dropping when she walks to the truck. She slams the door as she climbs in, her eyes locked with Embry's in the woods. Jacob shakes his head, taking off to the pack, leaving Bella standing in the rain, leaving Elizabeth clutching her chest as the distance between them grows larger and larger.