7 Minutes in Heaven Chapter 40

Just so you all know, this chapter is only super long because I copied and pasted some Nate and Jemma moments from the old chapters so it fits the whole "reminiscing" scene, okay? If you want to skip all that stuff, go right on ahead to the last page. But the scenes from the old chapters make up for the suckiness!

Hope you enjoy!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Ever since my breakup with Gail, my life had been silenced, and I realized that it didn’t matter how much space or solitude I had. Regardless, I wouldn’t be able to get my crap together and sort out my feelings between Nate and Gail—and it’s been a month.  And I was somewhat astounded towards the fact that I still haven’t faced any form of “bullying” upon entering my 9th and final month. I was especially expecting a cold, typically obnoxious remark from Michelle Rauling; instead, she was silent. Don’t get me wrong—I loved the idea that her mocking invectives had ceased, but such silence coming from her felt like an oddity. All in all, my school life was back to its normality; no more had I felt like complete outcast or the rumored slut. I was back to being viewed as the nerd—the stereotypical Asian; I wouldn’t say my reputation as Little Miss Priss revived, however.

At the moment, it’s December 24th which is my supposed due date, and fear filled every cell in me as thoughts of childbirth flooded my mind incessantly. Despite the support I had from my parents, Emmett, Evelyn, Jackson, Alice, Lily, and Alex (who’s still out of the state), I felt it would never be enough. I needed a father figure around for the baby—I needed a potential husband-like person to support me. I couldn’t do this alone, but I still hadn’t made up my mind about Nate and Gail.

Repeatedly, I asked for guidance from my parents, Emmett, Evelyn, and Alice, but they all gave me the same answer: Don’t rush yourself; it’s going to take some time, so be patient. Ultimately, I was lead to Jackson for help. Considering he’s my best friend, most people would find me somewhat idiotic to not come to him first. Though that observation may ring some truth to it, I wanted everyone else’s advice before listening to his “words of wisdom”. In all honesty, it’s at times like these that I wish my grandmother Haneul was still around. She always held the best answer; almost 100% of the time, she was on the mark.

Anyway Jackson and I were in my room; I lay in my bed while Jackson sat on the chair nearby. It felt like having an appointment with a psychiatrist. He even held a clipboard in his hands, his rarely used glasses over his soft blue eyes. He peered over the clipboard and asked me in a professional tone, “So, Miss Song, what do you think is bothering you?”

It was a rhetorical question, but it had to be done. “I can’t decide between Nate Stanford and Gail Eisen,” I answered simply.

“Why is that so?”

I heaved a sigh. “Ever since Nate kissed me—and keep in mind that this was both on Halloween and on Thanksgiving—I’ve felt these lingering feelings creeping up on me about our previous relationship. They became on par with my feelings for Gail, and, not wanting to make Gail feel like he isn’t really loved, I broke up with him. Now I’m left to decide between those two.”

Jackson looked directly at me and demanded, “Relay your history about you and Nate.”

Rolling my eyes, I groaned, “You already know everything.”

“Relay your history about you and Nate,” he repeated, in a tougher, austere tone.

Taking a deep breath, I summarized, “I met him around the beginning of February this year at a party my older brother Emmett threw in this very house. The first impression I got was that he was a total asshole and man-whore; much to my dismay, I ended up in a closet with him from a stupid game called Seven Minutes in Heaven. However, I didn’t give him the satisfaction of giving into him so he could steal my virginity. Ever since that day, he’s been pestering me, tempting me to give into him. In the midst of all that, I found myself developing real feelings for him, especially when he saved me from Thomas Gibson’s rape attempt on me.