7 Minutes in Heaven Chapter 38

So sorry it's an extremely short chapter, but this whole event is the main part of the chapter, and I can't come up with any details. At least I had the chance to write a chapter and update!

Hope you like it though! xD

----------------------------

Nate Stanford simply stood there, hands in his pockets, looking up at me with a serious expression. And while I was sorting out how I felt about his appearance, Gail was upstairs to check his email on my laptop in my room. Wonderful…I was so not up for dealing with my ex at the moment.

My words directed at him were unintentionally laced with venom as I asked callously, “What do you want?”

He rolled his eyes teasingly as though we were on good terms. “I’m visiting our baby, remember?” I twitched at the word “our”. Before I could even invite him to enter the house, he walked in without a word, took my hand in his, and walked me straight to the kitchen.

“What do you think you’re doing?!” I snatched my hand away from him and placed it on my hip. I sighed, “You know, you should really consider calling me if you’re going to visit.”

Nate shrugged, hopping onto the island. “What’s wrong with a surprise visit?” he asked casually with a playful smirk on his lips. Everything, I thought, when you’re involved…

I didn’t want to face him because all I could see was Maria and what happened between them that night; that unshakeable thought came back to haunt me again. So I turned for my back to face him, heading towards the refrigerator to get out some string cheese; I didn’t dare ask him if he wanted anything to eat or drink. So what if I wasn’t being the best hostess to my guest? I didn’t want to show him even a smidge of kindness from me.

Much to my dismay, however, he spoke, “So I see you’ve met my bro Gail.” No response verbally or physically arose. I really didn’t want to talk about this, not with him, not with my ex. Nate continued, “Are you two going out?”

Knowing this required a straight-up answer from me, I replied firmly and proudly, “Yes, Gail is my boyfriend.” Deep down, there was a piece of me urging to see his reaction; but I wasn’t going to give him the satisfaction of assuming that I wanted him to care.

A momentary pause settled in, and I feared his next question; I could only imagine his tone and expression, especially with this reluctance of his. His deep breath was palpable before asking slowly, “Do you love him?”

A smile crossed my lips, a smile I couldn’t shake off. Just the thought of Gail and I was an overwhelming sensation that I couldn’t rid of. Turning back around to see his anxious face, I smiled brighter and replied blissfully, “Yes. I love him very much.”

Nate slid off the island and walked over to the window, gathering his thoughts and feelings. Then there came the dejected sigh. “Does he…make you happy?”

In response, I bit my bottom lip, trying to contain the overpowering feeling of bottomless happiness that was overflowing inside me. Nate turned to see my expression, and I responded eagerly, “He makes me very happy.”

He smiled, but only slightly as he murmured, “That’s good…”

Despite my gut telling me to dismiss him immediately, somehow, I felt like saying this much to him wasn't enough. Thousands of questions arose inside me regarding Nate and Gail, so I pointed out, “You know, I never thought of Gail being best friends with you.”

Nate smirked. “I never thought it was possible either until I met him. I don’t even remember how easily we became friends, but I knew it was this exact same date: October 31st. Halloween. It was the same day as her birthday.”