7 Minutes in Heaven Chapter 37

Ugh...this was such a difficult chapter to write...so...yeah, don't mind the crappiness. I tried, okay?! Dx I had another terrible case of Writer's Block

But I do hope you enjoy it!

--------------------------------

I sat there in the car, nervous as hell, lost in the pool of my swirling thoughts as I contemplated over my hellish summer vacation and the drama I’d have to face the second I step out of the car. However, as I felt his eyes watch my every reaction and emotion that swelled up inside me like a balloon, I pulled up a calm—nearly convincing—façade. Even so, he held a doubtless expression, trying to peer through my mask.

He then asked warily, “Are you sure about this?”

Cocking my head to the side in mock-confusion, I asked innocently, accompanied by a fake smile, “What do you mean?”

He sighed, slightly irritated with my “ignorance”. After turning off the engine and simply staring off into space for a mere five seconds, he muttered, “Don’t act stupid. And don’t try to convince me that you’re okay because I know you’re not even half of being halfway close to that.”

It was always hopeless to lock away and hide my feelings from him; he knew me all too well. But then again, I couldn’t blame him. Gail has been my boyfriend for the past months—and it has been pure bliss since then.

When I told my friends of this, they questioned my actions, doubting that my love for Gail was real—that it was to mend my broken heart. As much as I hated to be uncouth to them, I proved and gave out a livid speech that they were dead wrong. To be heartless of such was never part of my character. I wasn’t deluded; I knew for a fact that we loved each other. Gail was no replacement of Nate—I wouldn’t be that cruel. I couldn’t be.

How it all started was simply a continuation of Nate’s leave with his girlfriend Maria. I remember how Gail spun me around to face him and give me a secure, comforting hug; he dismissed Matt and Jackson, putting off explanations until the next day. I attempted shooing Gail away, but he was persistent, repeatedly saying, “I’m not leaving. You need someone by your side…someone like me.”

I remember gazing directly at him, flashing a fake smile, assuring Gail, “You’ve done enough, really. I’ll be all right.”

He heaved a sigh. “Nice try.” Gail tucked a tendril of hair behind my ear, whispering, “But if you really need some space, I’ll just be downstairs; if you really need me, you know where I am. And I’ll be here for you.” My smile widened, he pulled away, and left my room.

As I backed away, I felt the mattress of my bed, and flopped on my back, slowly letting the overwhelming emotions wash over me like a tidal wave. My mind was circling around, replaying Nate’s words to Maria over and over. I couldn’t believe how easily he moved on from me to another woman. But I couldn’t blame him…she was stunning—and I couldn’t blame her for being desperate. She hated how inferior she felt to me in terms of Nate’s love for us. She didn’t like feeling second. Maria wanted to be treated like I was—possibly much better than I was. Even so, hearing him agree to her pleading felt like a dagger was pierced in my heart and dragged along to form an incongruous shape.

Finally, the emotion struck me deeply and the tears streamed down my cheeks uncontrollably. Wailing and making weeping noises weren’t necessary—before they could escape my lips, Gail burst into my room, sat me upright, and held me, tight enough to feel such security but loose enough to not harm the baby. I cried out right then and there; his hand gently ran through my hair, shushing me in a soft whisper. It was then that I realized that I needed and wanted someone like Gail in my life.