7 Minutes in Heaven

Now I’m sure we’ve all played those typical party games at least once: Truth or Dare, Spin the Bottle, Never Have I Ever, and even 7 Minutes in Heaven. However, I was never a party girl. I’m known as Little Miss Priss. I don’t smoke, fight, drink, sleep around, nor do I do drugs. I’m smarter than that; sure, what’s partying got to do with ruining an all-around good girl? And after trying out nearly all of those games, I honestly thought that it wasn’t a big deal until I played that game.

7 Minutes in Heaven.

“Emmett!” I screamed my older brother’s nickname. For about twenty minutes, I’ve been rummaging through his room, trying to find my friend’s game disc that she allowed him to borrow. Alice needed it—and she needed it back…now. After all, he’s the one who’s been borrowing it for three months and hasn’t bothered to return it after he beat the game just two months ago.

God, he can be so irresponsible at times. I swear his clothes are scattered everywhere! Does he not know how to pick up his clothes and put them in a nice, neat pile? Not only were his clothes all over the place, but all his books and school binders. Seriously, how’s he going to manage his own dorm if he goes to Harvard next year? I’m only two years younger than him yet I’m more prepared to live on my own compared to him.

After another five minutes, I called him again, and when I really lost it, I called out his real name, “Jung-Hee!”

He rushed right into the room, now realizing how “dire” the situation is. “What? What? What is it?” he asked hastily, looking for trouble—for someone’s ass to kick. However, when he noticed that it was just me in the room, he heaved a sigh. “Seriously, Jemma, don’t call me by that unless you’re being killed, kidnapped, or something.”

“But I am being killed, Emmett!” I griped. “I’m trying to find Alice’s game, but all your crap is scattered everywhere!”

Emmett groaned, “Well…I don’t know where it is now, so it’s kind of pointless. I don’t know where I put it after I beat the game.”

Rubbing the bridge of my nose, I stifled another outburst. “Good job, Emmett,” I said sarcastically.

“It’s not that big of a deal,” he said carelessly. “Anyway, we’ve got school, so don’t worry about it. Just give it to her tomorrow.”

“But she needs it now!” I argued.

Emmett bent down to pick up his backpack by the door before slinging it over his shoulders and telling me, “I’ll fix my room this time. I promise.” I rolled my eyes as I followed him out the door.

When we got to school, I was greeted by my usual group of friends: Alice, Jackson, Lily, and Alex. “Hey, Jemma!” saluted Lily. When I returned with a smile, she asked, “So do you want to like, hang out or something today?”

Taking a moment to consider it, I shook my head. Her face fell, but I hastily explained myself, “I’ve got a research paper to finish that’s due tomorrow! I’ve just got about two pages left to do, and then I have to work on whatever Pre-Calculus homework Mrs. Stein is going to assign us today.”

Jackson scoffed. “Jeez, you’re such a nerd. Come on, we’re not going to be out until midnight or anything like that.” I shook my head, still rejecting their offer.

“Please?” Alice begged.

“Sorry, you guys, but I seriously need to finish my homework,” I repeated myself.

“You said it, not us,” Alex said. When I hold a look of confusion, he adds, “You’re cutting yourself from the rest of society—so don’t complain that you’re hardly given time to hang out. You’re just throwing yourself into your work.”