•Chapter 51•

Shawn Mendes
I couldn't get a hold of Elara.
All through the journey I tried to call her and text her.
But she wasn't responding to me.
Before I left even Camila had tried to ring her but she still wasn't responding.
Anxiety ran through me and I hadn't stopped crying since I found out that Frances was in the hospital.

Everyone understood that we had to cancel shows until i knew that Frances was ok.
I hated cancelling shows, but it was more than necessary, for my baby's sake.

As soon as I landed I got into a taxi that took me to the general hospital where I hoped they would be.
I didn't think Elara would have taken her anywhere else, well, I just had to hope that she didn't.

As we pulled up to the hospital I cursed as there were a few paparazzi outside the reception.
But I pushed it to the back of my mind snd ran through the shouts and the cameras and to the reception area.
"Floor six, room two." A man shouted to me and i nodded without even stopping running.

The elevator was so slow.
But at least it gave me time to plan what I was going to say to Elara.
But as the elevator opened I was out of it like a flash and round the corner until i got to room two.

I stood outside and looked through the small window.
What I saw broke my heart.
Frances was on the bed, two needles in her arms with tubes coming from them.
She was wriggling around but she was asleep.
Her little face was so pale.
I looked further in the room and saw Elara stood by the window, running her hands through her hair.

I slowly opened the door and Elara whipped round to face me.
I saw so many emotions run over her face all at once and all of a sudden I had forgotten what to say.
"Elara,"
"You're here." She said plainly and I nodded.
"W-What is it?" I asked and we both walked over to Frances' bed.
"Meningitis. She was feeling sick a while ago. Vomiting and headaches. But i just put her in bed and thought it was a bug. But then the rash came and she just was so drowsy she couldn't walk or talk well." She explained and the tears started to fall onto my cheeks hard and fast.
"Oh my god." I cried and slumped down into a chair.
I put my hands over my face and sobbed into them.

I couldn't believe this was happening.
My daughter was sick and I wasn't there for her.
I felt awful.
I just wanted to take her pain away.
It wasn't fair.
She didn't do anything wrong.

"Daddy?"
I looked up and quickly wiped my eyes.
"Oh Frances." I said and she started to cry.
I looked over at Elara who was also crying.
"Daddy." Frances said again and I carefully lifted her into my lap, being careful not to knock any tubes.
I held her as she cried and i opened up my arm more for Elara to come into.
She walked in cautiously but sat down next to me and put her head on my shoulder.
I stroked her arm and all three of us sniffled.
"Did you sing?" Frances said and I smiled.
"I did. But i'm here now." I said.
"Do you have my drawing?"
"Yes i still have it. And i have elephant. They're both in my bag." I said and kissed her head.
"Good. Can we go home now?" she asked and I sighed.
"Remember the doctor said we needed to wait a little bit longer baby ok?" Elara said.
"How long?" I asked.
"She needs to be able to properly eat and walk around. Then they'll do another blood test to make sure there's no infection in her blood then we can go." Elara explained and I nodded.
"But daddy's here now so it's all better." Frances said and I smiled.

Soon enough Frances had fallen asleep in my arms and I gently placed her back onto the bed.
Elara and I sat next to each other at the foot of the bed and both looked at Frances.
"This isn't your fault."
"But what if she got it from one of the kids at the baby group? I take her to that. It was my choice to take her."
"No no. If she got it from one of the baby group kids then that's not your fault. It's the parents fault for taking their child in when they were sick. None of this is your fault." I said and she nodded as she set her head on my shoulder again.
"I'm sorry by the way. My phone really did break and I was too busy to fix it. I'm sorry I didn't get one of the others to call you. And those videos, Elara it was just a fan in a club. I swear to you that nothing happened."
"I know. I was just scared and I just wanted you here. I'm sorry for screaming." She said and I kissed her head.

"I've missed you so much." I whispered.
"I missed you to. More than you could ever know Shawn."
She looked up at me and kissed me quickly.
But i pulled her face back in and kissed her with as much passion as I possibly could.
I put my hand over hers which was now cupping my face, but I panicked as I couldn't feel her engagement ring.
I pulled away and grabbed her hand.
I looked at her as soon as I realised that there was no ring there.
"Oh."
She slid off the bed and went over to a her small black bag in the corner of the room.
She pulled out the ring and walked back over before handing the ring to me.
"I was mad at you. And because I was scared, all my emotions just went crazy. I'm sorry." She said and I twiddled the ring in between my fingers.
I met her eye and she gave me a sad smile.
"I'm sorry."
"Don't be. It must have been scary doing all this on your own. I'm sorry I wasn't there to help." I said but she shook her head.
"You were doing what you had to do and what you loved to do and I'm so proud of you. You look amazing in all the videos." She said and I felt a blush come to my cheeks.
"Thank you. You're both still coming to the Rogers Centre performance right?"
"Yes of course we are. She will need headphones though." She said and I nodded as a concerned look came up on her face.
"We'll get some for her."

We sat just looking at each other for a moment before I became aware again of the ring in my hand.
I sighed and a small smile came onto my face as I held it up.
"Will you still marry me?" I said and Elara smiled.
"Of course I'll still marry you. I love you."
I slipped the ring on her finger and kissed her quickly.
"I love you too."