•Chapter 56•

Shawn Mendes
I was freaking out.
I paced around the hotel room my parents were sharing for tonight, my tie sitting untied around my neck, my shirt partly undone and my blazer strewn onto the bed.
Dad stood in the doorway and simply watched me run my hands through my hair.
I tried to take deep breaths and hold back the tears but it was proving difficult.

"Shawn, buddy, what the hell is going on?" Dad said and I sighed and finally sat down.
"I'm scared this is wrong and we're just rushing into something we're going to regret." I said and it was his turn to sigh.
"Why are you thinking that?"
"I don't know. I'm worried that by getting married all my ratings will go down and tour won't sell and-"
"Are you kidding me?"
Andrew walked in and I put my head in my hands.
"Why are you worrying about ratings over your family?"
"I don't know."
"Ratings are ratings. You're a superstar and people still adore you whether you're married or not. The majority of people like Elara. She rarely ever gets hate and people are excited about this wedding. So a drop in ratings shouldn't even bother you." Andrew said and I nodded and wiped away stray tears.
"I'm just stressing that this isn't the right thing for us to do."
"It is the right thing to do. There's no doubt about that in anyone else's mind but yours." Dad said and I nodded.
"Do you think she's ready?"
"I think she's ready. And i know she's so excited for this Shawn. You guys are a family already, this marriage is just an added bonus. And we're already running late so if you're wanting to do this we need to go now." Dad said.

I closed my eyes for a moment and pictured the life we would have together married
But I also pictured the life we would have if we just stayed being boyfriend and girlfriend.
I also pictured the life I would have on my own.
All the things I could do, if I just ran away from it all.

But then the wave of sadness came over me at the thought of not having them.
The thought that I would never hold her again or see my daughter grow up if I left.
We would have an amazing life together.
We are going to have an amazing life together.

I sighed and picked up my jacket, throwing it on before quickly tying the tie.
I ran my hands through my hair to flatten it into shape before i turned to Dad with a grin.

"Right, let's go get married."

Elara Beck
We sat waiting around the corner of the castle for the call from Manny.
He said he would ring us when they got there and in position so there would be no chance of Shawn seeing me before the ceremony.
But it was half an hour after the time we were meant to start and I was already panicked.

"He's not going to go through with it." I whispered and everyone in the car turned to me.
"What?" Agnes said and I sighed as the tears started to pool.
"He's not going to go through with it. Shawn's never late and now look. He's not coming. That's why Manny hasn't rung." I sniffled.
"Elara don't think like that. They'll be here shortly. I don't know what the hold up is, but I'm sure it's ok." Mum said and took hold of my hand.
Although she tried to be convincing, I heard the worry and sadness in her voice.
"Mamma wheres daddy?" Frances said and I couldn't hold back my tears anymore.

I let them fall and let the mini sobs come out.
I pulled her into my lap and she quickly wrapped her little chubby arms around my neck and pressed her nose to mine with closed eyes.
I wrapped my arms around my daughter and found comfort in holding her close.
But it didn't stop the thought that Shawn had backed out.
Who knows where he was.
Who knows what he was thinking.

Frances then placed her hands on my cheeks and patted away falling tears.
"It's ok. Think happy thoughts." She whispered and I smiled as she recited the line from 'Peter Pan', a film she knows I adored.
"Ok." I whispered back and she nodded before curling up on my lap, but keeping her arms around me.
"Right. I'm ready to go then." I sighed and sniffled back the rest of my tears as Agnes patted my face with a tissue.
"Oh Elara I'm so -"

The sound of my phone ringing took me by surprise, especially as I saw Mannys name pop up.
"Hello?" I sniffled and cursed the fact that I sounded croaky.
"Elara? What's wrong?"
"He's walked out hasn't he?" I said and sniffled again.
"What? No! No of course he hasn't. He's had a wobble, had his moment, but we're here!" He said and I watched as Mum sighed.
"Wait, why has he had doubts?" I said and felt the tears build up again.
"I-I erm. Just, erm"
"Manny, please."
"He just doubted whether it was right. You two getting married so young." He sighed and the tears fell again.
"Does he want to do it or is he just doing it for my sake?"
"No! no he wants to do this. Elara he's desperate to see you. Come on, you two are doing this. You love each other too much to not do this. Wipe away those tears ok? Everything is going to be ok." He said and I sniffled.
"See you in a bit"

I looked at Mum who huffed.
"Men." She said and I nodded. "What are you thinking?"
"I-I don't know."

Shawn Mendes
"Is she here?" I asked as soon as I noticed Dad put down the phone.
But my excitement suddenly fell as I noticed his expression.
"W-whats wrong?"
"Shes a mess Shawn." He said and I sighed and put my hands over my face.
"Why? What's happened?"
"She wanted to know where you were and why you were late, so I told her about your doubts and shes obviously just not happy." He said and I could have burst into tears there and then.
"Why would you tell her?!"
"Because she deserves to know."
"Shes still coming though right?" I said and felt bile rise in my throat as he simply shrugged.
"Well wait and see."

I felt sick.
I couldn't even ring her to talk about all of this.
I had no phone on me and I didn't know where she was.
This was meant to be the best day of our lives and now both of us were a mess.

I composed myself and walked into the castles church where we were going to be married.
I smiled and greeted people and gave a bullshit story for the hold up.
Dads phone rang again and he stepped out.
My head pounded and I watched on longingly.
A few minutes after he walked back in with a relieved expression and nodded at me.
"Shes here."