The Kingdom of Astria Part 2

Hey guys! To celebrate Valentine's Day, I'm running a few offers on my Patreon (Http://Patreon.com/FeastOfNoise) from 11/2/2021 to 15/2/2021! 

Here are the offers: 

1 All patrons who are pledging to the Amorous Lovers Tier and above as of [11/2/2021] will have their name/username mentioned in the kindle/paperback version of Abyssal.

2 Patrons who pledge annually to any of my tiers will receive a 15% discount (which equals to one free month of membership and then some). 

Now onto the chapter!

The Kingdom of Astria Part 2

"Drink this."

Kai stared at the golden, jewel-entrusted cup a servant had shoved into his face with blatant suspicion. The near black contents of the cup reflected his pale complexion. "What is it?"

"It'll restore your energy," said the servant.

Or it'll poison me.

"Isn't it standard procedure for my drink to be tasted?" Kai asked, purposely hinting at his suspicions. His face made it clear that he wouldn't drink or eat a thing until someone undoubtedly proved that it wouldn't drug or kill him. The memories of being drugged in the amphitheater with whatever it was the braziers burned was still fresh in his mind. He'd never forget how uncomfortably-hot -too hot- his skin felt on his bones.

Home or not, Kai would not trust anybody until they proved themselves trustworthy, and maybe not even then. And that included his 'uncle', the King Regent.

Slightly stunned, the servant glanced at his king, as if asking for instructions.

The Astrian gave a single nod, his face revealing his amusement.

As the servant drank a few sips from the cup, the King said, "I cannot imagine how difficult it was to be taken captive by Marius when you hadn't known what you really are and that this world existed, so I do not begrudge you your suspicion. In fact, I encourage it."

Kai didn't answer. He had no intention to reveal to a stranger the gruesome, humiliating details of his capture.

When this time the servant presented him with the cup, he accepted it. Gingerly, he sipped and closed his eyes against the vile taste. Kai imagined that this was what corruption tasted like, rancid and strong.

He glanced at the servant, who somehow despite taking a few sips of the putrid drink, hadn't keeled over and died on the spot.

Steeling his resolve, he downed its contents in one gulp and barely kept it down.

To his great shock, the drink's effect was instantaneous.

He felt the change -hot and electric- even as he lay on the bed. It coursed through his veins, spreading to every nook and cranny of his body.

Dumbfounded, Kai gently peeled the covers off his body to see that the scratches and bruises the arena fights had left were healing at an extraordinary rate, right in front of his eyes! He turned his arm and watched the slit he'd self-inflicted on his wrist disappear, leaving behind unblemished skin.

He rubbed the wound, marveling at the magic that lay in the concoction. Or was mermaid science and medicine considerably evolved than theirs was? Either way, the drink hadn't just given him strength. It had also healed his physical wounds.

Now, if only it could do something about his mental wounds. Now, those were some hideous injuries that he doubted he'd ever heal from.

"Thank you," he said, and meant it. By far, they were proving to be better hosts than Marius or anyone in his empire ever was.

"What is your name?"

"I am Zoltan the Third, Son of Melushia, and King to Astria. And I am also your uncle, your father's younger brother." King Zoltan reached for Kai's hand and grasped it in both his. He'd done so quickly Kai didn't have the time to react and pull his hand away. Kai absentmindedly noted that the Astrian King had incredibly cold hands, as if he'd just pulled them out of a freezer before wrapping them around his. He barely suppressed the shudder that would have shot up his arms. His shark-like eyes bore into Kai's with a strange intensity as he said, "You are safe here, Kai, Son of Kaerus."

He sounded sincere enough.

"Rest for now. Once your full strength is restored, I shall have you be given a tour of the Palace," Zoltan promised, still clasping Kai's hand.

Then, he lifted the hand to his mouth and kissed the back of it.

Kai had never had uncles before, seeing as his mother was a lonely child, but he suspected that this wasn't a very common thing to do -considering he was a full-grown man.

Nervously, he snatched his hand away, shouldered back his weariness and muttered a nervous, "Appreciate that."

****

Kai instantly recognized the merman who'd just entered his bedchamber, announced by a servant.

"You're-!"

He bowed long and deep, his crimson cape swishing across the floor as he went down on one knee. With both hands resting on his upright leg and eyes on the floor, he introduced himself, "My Prince, I am General Ryodan of the Astrian Army and your humble servant. I have come to escort you across the Palace grounds."

It was the first time someone had ever bowed to him. It felt strange being on the receiving end of such deference and respect; especially after the two days of constant humiliation he'd had to endure. The change was... refreshing, and not entirely unwelcome.

When he realized that Ryodan was waiting for him to say something, he said, "Uh... Rise?"

General Ryodan straightened to his full height of 6'3, towering over Kai in both stature and presence. He felt dwarfed. While he was in a silk sleeping robe and loose-fitting pants, the General was dressed in a blue and gold armor suit complete with a cape hanging at his back. Kai was reminded of Superman.

Shark-like eyes stared at him.

This was the merman who'd come to save him -and had failed.

As if reading his mind, Ryodan said, "Forgive me for my failure, my Prince. If I had succeeded in my mission in rescuing you, you would not have had to endure..." he trailed off, his eyes shuttering closed for a moment, as if he couldn't bear to think about what Marius had done to Kai in the two days he'd had him. Shame washed over him, so potent Kai felt it.

Something told him the General was not a merman used to losing.

"You did your best. I'm sorry for the men, er, mermen you lost," he said, knowing that it wasn't enough, but he just had to say it.

General Ryodan said, "It was their duty and their honor to die in service of their true king."

Their true king.

A shiver crawled up his spine and his heart began to thunder painfully against his breastbone.

"I would be honored if you'd allow me to accompany and guide you around the Palace."

Kai nodded. He was curious to see what the Astrian Palace looked like, and to see how others would react to his presence.

He stole a glance at the General. Perhaps this merman who seemed selfless and brave would help him get back home -his real home. 

*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

Oooooh. Our fishy boy's up to something...

Can't wait to find out?  Then please consider joining my Patreon for early access, NSFW exclusive chapters and more, or if you'd like to fuel the work that goes into this book! Thanks for reading!