King Trigon the White

As always, the Royal Tailor had excelled at the task of outfitting even a half-breed. The half-breed was handsome in the ceremonial outfit. He had his father' kingly bearing and his mother's human softness that, despite its numerous faults, made for quite a striking, captivating combination. Were his eyelashes always that long and feminine? And were his hips so-

Marius turned away from the boy. What were these strange, wayward thoughts he was abruptly having?

It had to be his grandfather's influence working its wretched sorcery on him, making his thoughts stray. He'd wanted to delay or stall this meeting for as long as possible, but even he knew that his grandfather would have his way, sooner or later.

And now the time had come, and his grandfather would see the half-breed born with the power to rule the Seven Seas.

Marius would let his grandfather lay eyes on the half-breed, but he would never allow him to lay hands on him.

They exited the King's chambers and headed for his grandfather's on the other side of the Palace.

Six guards accompanied them as they walked the Palace's vast transparent corridors, two in front of him and four behind him. The half-breed walked by his side, much to the silent astonishment of his royal guard. Normally, a pet walked behind its master. Only a king's peer walked by their side.

The half-breed looked confused and a little alarmed by the entourage.

"You said we were going to see your grandfather," he accused.

"We are."

"Then why are all these guards here?"

"Pay them no heed; it's just a formality. Just keep your mouth closed and follow everything I tell you to do to the letter. Obey only me, understand?"

"Yes, master," Kai said with heavy sarcasm lacing his voice.

His guard simultaneously flinched and tensed. They expected him to punish the pet for his insolence, as he would have strictly punished anyone who'd dared to mock the King.

He would have laughed if his mood wasn't so soured by the invitation he could no longer ignore or deny.

He didn't need to glance over his shoulder to see the guarded annoyance in the half-breed's face at being left in the dark.

Marius hesitated, surprising himself. He rarely hesitated -his mind was too sharp and decisive for its own good. But he hesitated now, unsure whether to bother explaining to the half-breed his concerns. Then he remembered his plan and decided to stick with it. "He's not to be trusted. Everything he says is a lie meant to serve only himself. He cares only for his own gain. Never trust him."

"Your... grandfather?" He heard the doubt and concern in his voice.

How amusing. The young half-breed, no older than his newest fingernail, failed to understand the intricacies of court life -and deceit. And who could blame him? His father had chosen to send him to live with his human, lowborn mother.

How sinfully unprepared his father had left him.

"And my mother, and my sister, and my cousins, and even those who call themselves my friends and allies. They all have their own kingdoms and ambitions in their hearts. Only the King has all their kingdoms and ambitions combined in his heart."

"I... think I understand."

Marius smiled. "Do you?"

After a moment's hesitation, he said, "Let's hope I do. Your grandfather sounds like a nightmare."