East Wing

East Wing

To say that he was shocked would have been an understatement. It felt like he'd ran at a door only to find out it was locked. Next came disappointment, souring his mouth like bad milk.

"What do you mean 'the king's orders'?" Kai questioned incredulously.

"Exactly what we said, your Highness. The king has ordered you to remain in the East Wing and has forbidden you from roaming the rest of the Palace." Said the blue-eyed guard.

"But why?!" Why would his uncle issue such an order?!

"Apologies. We do not know, nor do we have the power to ask." It was the yellow-eyed guard who spoke this time.

"Well, I'm going to meet him right now, so-"

"Not possible, your Highness. We cannot let you leave, even to meet his Majesty. The King's orders."

He clenched his teeth so hard, his jaw ticked. Patiently, he tried yet again, "I'm sure this is all some big mistake. If you let me go to my uncl- his Majesty, I can pr-"

"No. These are his Majesty's explicit orders. We cannot disobey them."

"Then call him here!"

The guards -and the servants- looked at him as if he were the greatest of blasphemers.

"Oh, for fuck's sake," he moaned as he scrubbed a hand down his face in frustration.

He argued with them for another full minute, but it had been apparent to him from the start that there was no getting past them. Stony faces stared back at him, unbudging.

He wanted to throw his fists around and knock some armored ass, but he restrained himself with great effort. Inwardly seething, he whirled around in a flurry or gold-woven robes and stomped back to his chambers, a line of servants following behind him.

He'd gotten all dressed for nothing.

****

It occurred to him sometime during his restless attempt at sleep that, if he couldn't leave the wing to meet the King, and nor would the King Regent be brought to him by his request, he'd have General Ryodan brought to him so that the good general could fetch the King Regent for him, or deliver his message at the very least. Surely that wouldn't be too great a transgression in courtly manners.

So, the next morning, he went to the guards and asked to see General Ryodan.

"I'm afraid that's not possible, your Highness."

"If you say the king's orders-"

"No, it's not that." The guards exchanged strange looks briefly, but Kai wasn't nearly as blind as they clearly thought him to be and caught them.

"Well, what is it, then?" He was growing impatient and irate at this constant refusal of the simplest of requests.

"He's gone to quench a few riots and disturbances in the Western borders of the kingdom." The blue-eyed guard explained.

"Then summon him when he's back."

"He'll be gone for some time."

Kai's eyebrow shot up in obvious doubt. "And how would you know such a thing?"

"Well..." There was that look exchange again.

Annoyed, he barked, "Spit it out!"

"These riots happen occasionally, but they've been happening a lot lately."

At that, he frowned. It seemed that Astria was not so peaceful and 'blessed' after all. Well, aside from the ongoing war it was fighting with Marius' empire.