A Merman of His Word

"Now you take me to see my mother." Kai demanded of Marius as soon as they were out of Trigon's chambers. He'd somehow made it through that dinner unscathed, which was all that he could hope for in his chaotic existence.

"You don't give me orders." Marius barked. He should really get a shirt with that written on it.

Once again, he felt the accusatory glares of Marius's guards, clearly upset he wasn't kneeling and begging at the feet of their master.

"Don't give me that. You gave me your word." Kai's hackles rose as he geared for a fight. Marius's guard might just have to step in to keep their master from getting punched in the face. He might not know how to use his powers just yet, but Kai could throw a punch.

Marius sighed. "Very well."

And just like that, Kai relaxed and the tension eased from his body. He couldn't stop the look of relief from taking over his face. He'd expected Marius to argue or even renege on their deal, but he'd surprised him by relenting quickly. It seemed that the King of Nostraza was a merman of his word.

"I mean right now." Kai decided to push the matter a little, just to check that he and Marius were on the same page.

Marius looked like he was at the verge of rolling his eyes. "Yes, yes."

Kai almost smiled. The thought of seeing his mother after weeks of separation was enough to put him in the best mood he'd been in since the day he was kidnapped.

"But," Kai started to say and Marius looked at him expectantly. "Let's change clothes first."

"You expect me to visit your mother in human shirt and shorts?"

Kai frowned. "I expect you to wait outside. You can wear a skirt for all I care, just as long as you're not naked."

"If you think I'm letting you out of my sight, you can forget it." His voice brooked no argument.

As if Kai could escape with the damned leash around his ankle. He'd just be summoned back in an instant. The Master's Chain was the ultimate tool in pet ownership.

Still, he knew there would be 'rules' imposed on this visit. He supposed that as far as rules and restrictions went, letting Marius come with him to meet his mother wasn't the worst. He'd just say Marius was his friend from abroad. It wasn't a total lie.

But how the hell would he explain his disappearance to his mother? She might have called the national guard by now. He might have already made it to the local, if not international, news. Kai could just picture the news stations flashing a bad ID picture of him with the title "Ambassador's son missing" underneath it. Had they gotten around to making a Netflix documentary about him, or was it too soon?

"I'm going to ask you a question, but don't bother answering if you're going to mock me." Kai said. It was stupid, he knew, but Marius said he'd been keeping an eye on his mother ever since taking him, so maybe he knew the answer to at least a few of his questions.

At that, Marius arched an eyebrow, his expression growing amused.

Kai already regretted this.

"Very well."

"Has my mother done anything since I went missing? I mean, did she call the cops?"

"No."

Kai waited for an explanation.
And when Marius gave none, he demanded, "Why not?" He just couldn't see his overprotective mother not reacting to his disappearance. A part of him was a little hurt.

"We've been keeping her in check to make sure she attempts no such thing. The human world can never know about our world."

"You did what?!" Kai couldn't believe his ears. "What do you mean 'you've been keeping her in check'?"

"Exactly what it sounds like. She's been locked up in your house under constant guard ever since I took you."

Marius had mentioned something like this before, but he'd never imagined that the King would go as far as to restrain his mother in her own house.

A red haze descended over Kai's eyes as his imagination ran rampant. "If you touched her-"

"As if I would lay hands on a defenseless human woman." Marius dismissed his outburst with a tiny wave of his hand, a look of boredom on his face.

For some baffling reason, Kai believed him. Marius the Conqueror was many things, but he was no liar. He was a kidnapping, murdering son of a bitch, but he was no liar.

"Keep it that way. You get nothing from me if you or your lackeys so much as stir a hair on her head."

"As this is your mother we speak of, I will let your little threat slide. But my patience wears thin. Careful, Kai."

Kai's footsteps faltered and he nearly tripped on his boots.

Hearing the King say his name  was... strange. It wasn't... unpleasant. He wasn't sure what it was. It gave him quite the shock; he was so used to Marius calling him half-breed that he thought he'd die before he heard his name out of his lips.

"Surprised I know your name?" There was amusement in his voice and a twinkle in his blue eyes that Kai had never seen before. It was difficult to believe that he'd been on the verge of flipping over his grandfather's dinner table in a fit of rage just a few minutes ago.

Kai mentally shook himself out of it. "You knew my name way before I knew yours, Marius."

A guard made a sound akin to a laugh, but wisely disguised it with a cough.

****

He found a plain shirt and jeans neatly folded on his makeshift cushion bed. They'd only just gotten back to Marius's chambers; how did he prepare human clothes for him so quickly? The only explanation was that Marius had had them brought in during their dinner, even before Kai had asked for them. How suspiciously thoughtful.

There was no underwear though. Not so thoughtful.

Well, he'd do with what he had.

He quickly went into the wardrobe and changed, then went back into the room to find Marius standing in front of a swirling portal.He'd already prepared the way.

Marius was wearing his black scales full-body suit, a sword strapped to his back.

Kai was relieved that they wouldn't be wasting time traveling back home. As he was about to walk into the portal, Marius stepped in his way.

"No trickery, Kai. You will behave."

Kai nodded stiffly. "I wouldn't be able to do anything even if I wanted to.

Marius smirked. "Excellent." And then he reached out a hand.

Kai inwardly groaned, but swallowed his reluctance and put his hand in Marius's anyway. He'd stomach just about anything if it meant seeing his mother. 

*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

Interested in reading exclusive NSFW Abyssal sex chapters? Check out my Patreon where you'll find many NSFW short stories in addition to NSFW Abyssal art. My favorite so far from the ones I've written has to be Scotch Rain ;). But be warned: it's a 18+ read so your discretion is advised.

Patreon: www.patreon.com/feastofnoise

www.patreon.com/feastofnoise