Under His Nose

Hey guys! In case you missed my announcement, Abyssal is now a comic created by Aries and I! You can check it out on our Ko-fi account (AriesFeast: https://ko-fi.com/s/7df1781f21) to find the full prologue available for purchase :D We're also going to start a Patreon account for support in exchange for sneak peeks, exclusive NSFW content and more. Your support brings both Aries and I one step closer to making Abyssal full-time. <3 

Under His Nose

Kai's eyes fluttered open in the dead of the night. With half his brain still slumbering, he tried to listen for whatever had woken him up from a dreamless sleep. It felt as if his eyelids had weights attached to them, but he forcefully kept them open. He'd never be able to fall asleep until he was sure there was nothing to lose sleep over.

From where he lay on the bed, he couldn't see farther into the room, so he tried to sit up, only to fail miserably.

So, he simply laid there and listened.

When he didn't pick up on anything, he rolled over to the side, closed his eyes and attempted to fall asleep again.

A few seconds later, his eyes shot open as soon as he felt it again. A skitter of alarm crawled down his sides.

This time, he managed to force himself to sit up in his bed out of sheer self-preservation, and looked around the big, pitch black room.

He spotted no ominous shadows or looming demons.

Still, the feeling persisted. It nagged him that there was something he was missing.

Frowning, he loudly called, "Who's there?"

No answer.

He looked up at the jellyfish on the ceiling and wondered how he could get them to light up and illuminate the room. That should put his worries to bed -and hopefully him along with them. The thing was, he didn't remember seeing a switch on the walls; they were always lit when the servants came to wake him for breakfast.

"Um... light up?" he said as he stared at the jellyfish nearest to him. "Light up," he said a little louder. "Lights on! Lights... on. Illuminate! Glow! Shine like a fucking diamond. Fucking hell."

Alright, maybe they weren't voice activated.

He tried clapping.

A muffled laugh drifted to his ears.

He jumped.

"Fucking show yourself already!" he growled, dread combined with anger fueling his emotions. His heart started thumping powerfully against his ribcage, and his whole body stiffened, gearing to face the imminent danger that had crept up on him while he'd slumbered like the dead.

A figure among the shadows moved, breaking away from the blackness that consumed it.

"What are you doing?" General Ryodan emerged from the shadows, an amused look on his face.

Kai started to relax, then caught himself.

"What are you doing here?" he asked warily. What was the General who was supposed to be far away doing in his room in the middle of the night?

"If you've come to kill me, I'll have you know you're the worst assassin ever." Kai said, eyeing Ryodan through narrow slits. He could have taken Kai out while he was asleep.

The General looked at him as if Kai had asked to bear his children.

He was at Kai's side in an instant, towering over him and startling Kai.

He'd moved as fast as Marius did.

"Has someone attempted to harm you?" The General demanded, an expression of pure, unadulterated rage twisting his face. Even his form changed, his broad shoulders tense. He looked just about ready to do battle.