True Danger

Hey guys! So I just wanted to explain again why the chapters have become so short. It's because this story now uploads on Tapas as well, and Tapas allows a certain number of characters per chapter under their 'bite-sized stories' policy. That being said, the next chapter (which is already on Patreon for early access if you've got a dollar to spare ;P) is longer than the past updates. I've stretched it as far as I could. Thanks for understanding! 

P.S What do you think of the Abyssal's cover I commissioned?! :D  

Oh and that Patreon banner you see? I made it myself :3 

True Danger

Despite his initial belief that he would never ever be able to get a shut eye in Marius' room, Kai soon fell asleep amid the sea of surprisingly comfy cushions. He dreamed about his mother and his home and his friend Hakan. He dreamed about the Turkish bazaars he'd run around as a child and loved so much. Finally, he dreamed about the golden merman.

"What are you?" he'd asked him in the dream while floating on top of the most beautiful coral reef Kai had ever seen. He'd been desperate to find out the true nature of this supposed power he possessed. Other than breathing under water, could he fly? Could he shoot laser beams out of his eyes? Could he compel people to tell the truth? Was he insanely rich and owned a black, armored tank? What? What the hell was this power he'd been kidnapped over?!

It had to be a power that others could take advantage of if King Marius had gone through all the trouble of kidnapping him and bringing him here.

The golden merman had regarded him with interest before swimming circles around Kai until Kai's head began to spin.

"Tell me!" he'd demanded, his desperation bordering on hysteria. He couldn't take the not knowing for much longer.

He feared that, pretty soon, he would break.

"Look inside you; you'll find all the answers you seek-" The golden merman had begun to say through ventriloquism when Kai interrupted him.

"Oh, don't give me that cliché crap! I don't think I have time to look inside. I'm already in the heart of Nostraza! If I don't find out now, then I fear I'm going to be taken advantage of. You will be taken advantage of! And I don't know how to defend you!" By the time he'd finished what he had to say, he was practically panting. Apparently, it was possible to run out of breath underwater.

He'd heard the echoes of a soft laugh bouncing off the walls of his mind. "You wish to protect me, my Prince?" He'd heard the notes of mild surprise in the merman's voice.

"Well, yes. If your power is truly awesome, then I don't want you falling into the wrong hands to be used against the Astrians -against my people," he'd confessed honestly. How he felt a sense of duty to a people he'd never known was beyond him. Then, he'd looked at the golden merman -really looked at him- and had said softly, "But I suspect you already know everything about me. After all, you do live in my head."

The golden merman had reached out a hand and touched Kai's chest, right over his heart, before saying, "And your heart."

Where he was touching, Kai felt honeyed warmth seep into his very bones.

"My Prince, I am the one who protects you."

Well, you haven't done a bang-up job so far.

The golden merman had heard that. He had tilted his head to the side and had said, "'You were in no true danger to warrant my appearance."

Kai's jaw had dropped to the ocean floor at that.