036. In Control

Part One / Chapter Thirty-Six

Harry led them along the first-floor corridor, peering through doorways, and at last found an empty classroom into which he dived, closing the door behind Ron, Hermione, Venus and Constance the moment they were inside and leaning against it, facing them.

"Voldemort's got Sirius." He repeated.

Venus, Constance, Ron and Hermione blinked at him.

"What?"

"How d'you — ?"

"When did you — ?"

"Saw it. Just now. When I — whatever happened— in the exam."

"But — but where? How?" said Hermione, whose face was pale.

"I dunno how," said Harry. "But I know exactly where. There's a room in the Department of Mysteries full of shelves covered in these little glass balls, and they're at the end of row ninety-seven . . . He's trying to use Sirius to get whatever it is he wants from in there. . . . He's torturing him. . . . Says he'll end by killing him . . ."

Harry found his voice was shaking, as were his knees. He moved over to a desk and sat down on it, trying to master himself.

"How're we going to get there?" he asked them.

There was a moment's silence. Then Ron said, "G-get there?"

"Get to the Department of Mysteries, so we can rescue Sirius!" Harry said loudly.

"But — Harry . . ." said Ron weakly.

"What? What?" shouted Harry.

Venus stood next to them with her eyes glued shut, hoping the voice would come and tell her Sirius was going to die. But she felt no plunging sensation, it never came. No one was going to die.

"Harry — you don't think you're being a little irrational?" Venus' voice began falling into a hushed whisper under Harry's menacing glare, eyes now wide open.

"Irrational? He's going to kill Sirius!" bellowed Harry. "The question is how we're going to get in there!"

"It's five o'clock in the fucking afternoon, Harry!" Venus' voice rose. "Sirius hasn't been taken there, especially by Voldemort."

"Or maybe," Harry's tone went dark, "you just don't want me to save him."

Venus and Harry were nose to nose at that point.

"No, I just think Sirius can take care of himself perfectly fine," she whispered, taking her hand and pushing Harry away at the center of his chest.

"But . . . Harry, think about this," said Hermione, taking a step toward him, "it's five o'clock in the afternoon. . . . The Ministry of Magic must be full of workers. . . . How would Voldemort and Sirius have got in without being seen? Harry . . . they're probably the two most wanted wizards in the world. . . . You think they could get into a building full of Aurors undetected?"