Chapter 29: Cracking

It's funny how most would say coming home after a horrible attempt to take a life would be awkward for everybody. It is kind of true as both you and your dad are struggling to talk to Bonnie, but for him, it's the complete opposite. In fact, a part of him is kind of enjoying watching you both stumble over words. Maybe it's just because he's happy with how much care you both seemingly have for him – mostly you. You even quit your job without a second thought. Your dad yelled at you for it afterwards but ultimately didn't care. Good choice.

~~~~~~~~~~

The tension in the air is so heavy. Bonnie would be enjoying it if he were in the middle of an episode. Instead, however, he's just left to wander around the house, barely paying attention to where he is or what's happening around him. Left to think about all that's happened. He wasn't lying when he said he would go through all this again. He would do it with a smile. The feeling and tingles are so satisfying. Waking up in a dump, finding out about the virus, getting it, almost killing someone. It's so... Delicious...

~~~~~~~~~~

"Why are you crying?" Bonnie slides his hands on your shoulders from behind.

You jump slightly and spin around to face him. "W-what? I'm... It's fine, Bonnie..."

You wipe your tears as best you can and straighten yourself up, asking if he needs anything. Bonnie, however, merely stares at you. Not at your eyes but rather, at your cheeks.

"Um, Bonnie?"

He wipes his thumb across your cheek, clearing away some extra tears that you missed.

"Why are you crying?" He stares at his now wet thumb.

You sigh quickly. "It's just my feelings getting to me. Now, do you need anything?"

"No..." He smiles.

He drops his arm and seems to be resisting something – that ultimately fails – since he grabs both your cheeks suddenly, with the same smile. He stares at your face, slowly tilting his head to either side randomly as if curious or fascinated.

"What are you doing?" you ask.

He gently pinches your cheeks and giggles. "I just think it's funny."

"What's funny?"

"That humans are seen as the most advanced on Earth but you're all so... Soft and delicate."

"I'm sorry?"

He squishes your face. "You saw with the guy at your job. It was so easy to bend his neck out of shape and make it almost fatal."

"Bonnie..." You push his hands off of you.

"What?" He tilts his head again. "Humans are vulnerable to a lot. Am I wrong?"

"What are you trying to get at?" Unconsciously, you take one step back.

"Nothing. It's just something I've noticed."

"And what are you going to do with this new information?"

"I don't know..."

~~~~~~~~~~

You're about to walk away but Bonnie grabs your arm, instantly pulling you towards himself so he's got you in a tight hug with your back against him.

"Do you still love me, y/n?"

"Of course I do."

Bonnie's grip on you tightens as he rests his head on top of yours, purring as he does. An actual purr. Of course, it doesn't sound exactly like any animal's but damn if it wasn't close. It unnerves you.

"Promise?"

"Yes."

He doesn't sound desperate, clingy, angry, jealous, or anything like that. He just sounds sad. Like he doesn't believe you still have feelings for him.

"Even when I'm like this?"

"Yes."

Bonnie nuzzles the back of your head whilst mumbling something to himself. You would think it was cute if he didn't bite your ear. It's not painful but it's not gentle either so instinctively, you move your head away from him, followed by the rest of your body.

"How about you go to bed for a while?" you say.

"Why?"

"Just so you keep your energy levels regular."

You push him until he's sat on the edge of the bed. He looks confused – for good reason – but you still get him to lie down and relax. Or try to.

"Stay there," you start to walk away.

"Ok..." Bonnie responds quietly. "But y/n?"

"Hm?"

"I hope you can see humans the way I do someday."

He smiles at you but you just awkwardly nod and quickly leave the room, not fully understanding what he means by that.

~~~~~~~~~~

You can't stop thinking that this isn't type two behaviour. Ever since Bonnie told you that Des infected him, you've been trying to tell yourself that you're overreacting and that he just has a normal virus. With each passing day, however, that seems harder and harder to believe. A type two would be almost completely normal aside from the incredibly strong urge to protect whoever they attach themselves to. Bonnie isn't like that. What has Desmond done to him? It's going to plague your mind until you get an answer. There are just so many possibilities and none of them are good. What if he becomes too dangerous? You wouldn't be able to live with that. You can't live with that. Bonnie doesn't deserve anything that's happened... But he kind of seems like he's enjoying it.

'I hope you see humans the way I do someday...'

'You're all so... Soft and delicate...'

'I'd go through this all again...'

So much fascination in his voice. So much wonder. What is going on in his head? What if it's irreversible? What if Bonnie never goes back to normal?

What if you're watching the end of his life?