Chapter - 8

1 step

1 step...

2 steps...

Her heart choked at her throat as she watched him getting closer. Her whole body trembled like a fallen leaf, tears forming in her eyes. He's getting closer and the knife in his hand isn't helping at all.

"You sent me to jail huh?"

His hoarse voice proved he's drunk out of his mind again. She let go of the bag she's holding and took a step back, tears blinding her to see less. She can't fight him alone, all she could do was to run away but it didn't seem like she had the time today.

"You'll pay for what you did bitch..."

She wanted to shout but the lump in her throat made it difficult. It's all back to her little dark room again. The horror movie she escaped from. It's all back.

"Dad...please..." her own pleads sounded useless to her ears. He wasn't stopping. He won't stop. He's not sane...

Is this how it ends...

She tripped on the luggage behind her and fell on her back, a sprint of pain rushing up her spine. Palms scrapping against the rough road as she tried to crawl backwards. It's futile. The man now closer than before. Tears fall, she sees him clearer. Closer.

He's a mad animal who saw only red. There weren't any exceptions when she was younger. It's always the alcohol that meant something to him and it still does. Even after all the years he spent in jail for it. She can't be his daughter in his eyes. Or maybe he never considered her a daughter. He's just a beast who lives off her blood and tears.

This time, he's literally after her blood.

"DIE!" He lifted the knife higher.

She heard his scream before closing her eyes shut. Squeezing them tight and waiting for the hit. Nails digging into the tarmac as her body froze. But the knife never came down to her chest, it didn't hit her like she expected.

A screeching made her open her eyes back. And it widened this time. A man in police uniform was holding her attackers arm with so much force that it dared moving. The weapon clanked on the tarmac and the officer kicked his leg. Making him lose his balance and kneel.

She stumbled back as he used his fists to take her dad down. Bending his arm around and then pushing him down on his face before holding him there.

"Pass me the handcuffs..." the officer now looked at her and demanded breathlessly. Her dad's still struggling under his weight to get out.

She was confused but then found the said handcuffs dangling from his belt. She immediately reached for it and handed it to him. Watching as he put his hands together and restrained his movements.

"Are you okay? He didn't hurt you, did he?" The officer stood up while panting. A trail of sweat running down his face as he offered his hand for her to get up. She could barely take her eyes of the man she was scared to death just now, writhing on the road while shouting unpleasant words to her. She couldn't respond to the officer.