Chapter 1 - Surprise!

This day could not be better for Hwayoung. For years she had anticipated this moment but now she couldn't help but feel a bit sad. Graduating meant becoming an adult but at the same time she'd leave her childhood behind and all the memories she had made in this place. 

"Bye!", she said to her school friends. They promised to meet up a lot but Hwayoung had a feeling they would not be able to manage these plans often. Still she hoped to stay close to her friends. When she reached the parking lot many students were saying goodbye to each other or sharing their future plans. 

"Hwayoung!", a voice suddenly called out making her turn around. Jisu walked over to her and left his own friends behind. 

"Hey.", she said smiling at him. Jisu and her had been friends for about five years now. Hwayoung helped him to confess to his crush while Jisu helped her study. Hwayoung often didn't have the motivation to since she spend her most time drawing. Without Jisu she would have most likely failed school. 

"Will you leave already?", he asked a bit sad. "We thought we'd go eat something." 

"Siyeon already waits for me. She said she had a surprise for me.", Hwayoung explained. 

"Well, I'm sure we'll meet soon again. I have to go now.", Jisu said quickly and hugged Hwayoung. "Greet Siyeon from me, okay?" 

"I will.", Hwayoung replied watching her friend go back to his clique while smiling. Then she turned around and immediately spotted the small, familiar car of her best friend. 

As soon as she stepped into it, Siyeon, who was just two years older than her, smiled brightly at her direction. Of course Hwayoung knew that smile could only mean she had something planned out. 

"So where are we going?", Hwayoung asked knowing Siyeon wouldn't just drive home and let the day go by like that. Just like she thought her friend had a mischievous grin on her face. 

"Don't worry. I'm not kidnapping you. First, we drive to your house. Then, you'll see.", she explained excited. 

Together the two best friends drove around Busan and stopped at their favourite ice cream shop, which lead them to a serious discussion if mint chocolate is good or not. Back in the car it good silent between them but Siyeon couldn't hide her excitement with tapping on the steering wheel to the beat. 

"Siyeon?", Hwayoung suddenly asked in a serious tone. Of course her best friend immediately listened to her. When it came to Hwayoung, Siyeon always had a soft spot for her. "Did you have the same weird feeling when you graduated?" 

"I know what you mean.", Siyeon replied. "To be honest I was quite scared because of all the opportunities I had. It felt like such a big step and my parents had big expectations in me. In the end you just have to go your own way so you can be happy." 

Hwayoung thought about her reply for the rest of the ride. She was scared, that was true. The girl wanted to make her parents proud and repay all the kindness they had given her. Her family wasn't poor but she still felt like she could give them a better life. 

"We're there.", Siyeon said tearing Hwayoung out of her thoughts. Siyeon was already used to her friend's behaviour. Whenever she'd get lost in her own thoughts, she'd get silent. They had often spent time together where Hwayoung was drawing while Siyeon practiced on the piano. 

Hwayoung loved listening to Siyeon playing instruments. Lately she had found her passion for guitar and often asked her which songs she should play. Together they'd just talk or listen to music while doing the things they loved. Hwayoung couldn't remember how often she had already drawn Siyeon.  

"There are my girls.", Hwayoung's mother, Ms. Kang, said with a proud smile as soon as they entered. For Siyeon this small apartment felt like a second home and she knew Ms. Kang would always take care of her. At some point she started treating Siyeon more like a second daughter than just a friend. 

Ms. Kang already prepared lunch and together the three of them sat down. Hwayoung's younger brother came home a bit later and immediately started to envy his sister. 

"4 years.", he said dramatically. "4 years I still have to go there until I get to your point."

"Make sure to spend your time wisely, brother. In the end you'll regret not to." 

"I highly doubt that." 

"End your bickering, okay? Today is a happy day.", Ms. Kang said. Then she winked at Siyeon. "The both of us have a surprise for you, Hwayoung." 

"Trust me. You made it obvious.", Hwayoung teased as she looked at her best friend. 

"We thought after all these endless weeks of studying you should take your time to rest before you start working or going to university.", Ms. Kang explained. "Actually, Siyeon had this idea-"

"Mom, can you please just tell me?", Hwayoung interrupted getting impatient. Patience wasn't her strength, and definitely not when it's about surprises.  

"You'll go on a vacation. Do you remember the small hotel we always went to during winter holidays when you were smaller?" 

"Of course! We haven't been there for how long? eight years?", Hwayoung said with excitement in her voice. The Kang family always went there and since they knew the owner they could stay there for longer than usual. The house itself was built in the mountains and Hwayoung missed the view of seeing the sun rise. 

"So me and you will go there.", Siyeon explained not able to stay serious and smiled widely. "For a whole month!" 

"What?", Hwayoung screamed and jumped up and down with Siyeon while her brother only rolled his eyes. 

"Are girls always this annoying?" 

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!", Hwayoung said to her mother and hugged her tightly ignoring her brother's comment. Ms. Kang only smiled at her daughter remembering the sleepless nights she went through only to study. "When are we going?" 

"Today."  

"HUH?" 

---------------------------------------------

Welcome to my Golden Child fanfiction. I really hope you like it and will give me feedback about your opinions. Please also correct me when my grammar is wrong, because English is not my first language. 

Obviously I don't know how the boys are in real life and tried to show them here in the best way possible. In no way I'm trying to make fun of them but sometimes these characters may do something that will not be like them. 

So now that all things are said, I wish you a fun time and please stay healthy. Love you!