Line of Fire

Reid didn't wake up until Xavier shoved her as they were called to exit the plain. She felt much better, which was a relief. The ocean was near - her home. But something else as well.

Xavier's blood was still pumping through her veins like a can of Redbull.

As they maneuvered off the plane and made their way over to the luggage carousel Reid's good mood was stifled by another wave of nausea. She wanted to double over and clutch her stomach but she'd had enough. She wouldn't give in to her body like that anymore. They were here. What else could she do?

She would need to swim. It had been too long.

Xavier didn't need her to say anything to know that she was almost about to vomit right onto another person's bag. He hadn't needed her to say anything this whole time. He felt it all. Maybe not as intense as a normal bond would have been but still there. Still beating in the back of his head like a second heartbeat. As soon as she was able, they would break this bond and he could be rid of this whole mess.

She would be rid of him, he would be rid of her. Freedom for both of them.

The hotel was close enough to the airport that they could walk. In fact, everything on the island was within walking distance. So much so that Xavier had yet to see a single vehicle. There were only peddle bikes and powered scooters. Sometimes they had sidecars for small dogs to ride in.

Xavier wanted to puke just looking at it all.

As they stepped out onto the streets, humidity and sea salt air rocked her back on her heels. She gulped down the fresh air, her scales rattled under her skin for the first time in days.

Xavier watched her carefully. The affect this place had on her was extraordinary. He could practically see her skin light up and her hair glow with its usual blood red. When she looked at him he was somewhat relieved to see that some color had returned to her eyes.

She would need to swim. But was that even a safe thing for her to do here? This was a small island in the middle of a very large ocean. What was to stop those creatures from crawling up onto the shore in the dead of the night to slaughter them both? Or perhaps something worse would come to wake them.

They got half way to the hotel and her knees began to buckle. He could physically see her agitation with herself as he moved to pick her up. She wrapped her self around his front and clung to his neck. Her legs wrapped around his torso. With one hand he held her up, the other he used to pull their bags along.

It wasn't hard for Xavier to do this. He could lift twenty Reid's and not feel a thing. The only struggle was his hand on her ass.

This fucking bond, oh it was a fucking mistake. So many times he told himself that, told himself how inconvenient it was for him. He couldn't be mated right now, not ever. And yet he has taken this creature to his bed as if she was just another hit on his kill list.

Fuck her.

Checking in and carrying Reid up the stairs to their room he laid her down on the bed. She was fast asleep again. Xavier didn't think it was possible for someone to sleep as much as she was right now. But she didn't look so sickly when she slept.

Xavier would sleep in the chair he decided. Easier that way. She was so tempting, like she was constantly waving a red flag in front of a bull. Fuck this shit, fuck her, fuck that stupid bond.

He quickly looked away.

When she woke, she would need more blood, and he doubted there would be a blood bank on this tiny island. He didn't know much about the island at all. He had never even heard of it during missions. Which was strange. He had thought he had been everywhere under the sun by now.