Villain

Copyright of A.E. Dell
All Rights Reserved

~~~~~

Reid wouldn't mind starting over every few years if it wasn't for all of the packing and unpacking that was required. She hated this part, loading up and unloading a hundred boxes filled with the few things she had accumulated over the years. At least this house was one of the nicer ones she had seen - spacious and open.

She dropped the last box in her arms on to the floor and felt the salty sea air press against her skin from the open kitchen window. That was another thing about the house she loved, just how close it was to the water and how private everything was on the property. She had attempted in earlier years to live more inland, away from the ocean, hoping it would help her stay hidden longer and blend a little better.

Unfortunately, that was the only time she was prone to ... accidents.

That and she couldn't feel when they came to close to her shore. She had little warning away from the water when they came sniffing around. She always had to leave eventually - before she became 'the dead' instead of 'the hunted.'

She shook her head once before bending over and stuffing her hands into the first box. Not many of the things she packed with her were important, just bland human things she had accumulated over the years she had spent hiding among humans.

Tomorrow was her first day at the local high school. She didn't need to attend but if she was going to be on the run for the rest of her long long life, she might as well learn something from it. Maybe she would become a scientist. Or maybe she would start her own company. If they didn't find her before then.

Reid also welcomed the distraction from the constant nagging in her belly.

Being the new person in town wasn't exactly a foreign concept for Reid, not when every time she started over, it was the same thing. On day one she would get the 'look' from other residents as they sized her. Her strange appearence drawing more attention then was appricated. By day two minor chitchat would be introduced, mostly from failed attempts from human boys hitting on her as she looked for a job or ordered a drink. By the time day three rolled around, people usually got the hint that no matter how hard they tried, Reid never will want to associate herself with anyone.

She imagined highschool would be much much worse. 

There was a back deck that ran out through a door in the kitchen. There was even a dock that led out over the water to where it was so deep you couldn't even see the bottom. The second floor had two bedrooms, one with a walk in closed and massive attached bathroom. It had a tub and thats all she really cared about. 

She kept her jeep in the garage that was attached to the house, and for days when it was sunny, she kept her bike parked right beside it. The motorcycle was the one human this she loved. She had tricked a man into 'gifting' it to her. 

Reid didn't think very highly of who she was. Unlike most people she couldn't just change her way of thinking, stop eating junk food, and get a life. No, she couldn't change her DNA, or her skeletal structure.

She looked like a human, a very stunning human, which is why she found it hard to blend in with society. Only if her cruel and disgusting insides were displayed on her skin, then she would be practically invisible... Well, maybe not quite invisible if you count hundreds of people screaming and running away.

She had hair like a rose, a completely unnatural red and auburn color. And if that wasn't enough, the length was the next thing to draw attention. It was thick and long, all the way down to her lower back. She had tried dying it before, but her hair just wouldn't hold the color. She had also tried cutting it but in an hour or so it had grown back.

And when her bright hair and its unnatural length didn't draw people in, her face did. Bright green eyes and a face more stunning than any model. Her nose was straight and sharp, her cheek bones high. Her skin was Ivory, smooth and soft, covering every inch of her. 

She was even the most beautiful at home, but being born into a world of wonders was one thing. Every world needs a villain. Reid was supposed to be one of them.