❃ Chapter Thirty Six - Lucky

┴┈┈┈┈■┈┈┈┈┴
Jerome
┬┈┈┈┈□┈┈┈┈┬

God, I hated the hospital...

I hated the white tiled floor, the yellow walls, the beds on which patients sat, the seats in which their loved ones waited, the medical equipment that was used, the nurses and the doctors. Oh, I hated the doctors the most.

As I tapped my foot on the tiles, I looked up and down the hallway. People of all kinds were gathered in the emergency room. Sick people, wounded people... nurses and doctors going through patients.

At the moment, I sat in one of the waiting chairs, praying that the doctor who went into the OR room with Narah would return with good news. Besides me was Sofia, fiddling with her fingers in her lap. I'd picked her up thirty minutes after I brought Narah in.

Burning those thirty minutes, a nurse had asked me to sign some papers, which I did while waiting for Narah's friends to show up. I'd told the medical staff I was her husband, so I wouldn't have to worry about who else was supposed to call the shots in case she was unconscious.

To help pass the time, I called Lo in the car and told him about the fallen leaders and the new ones. I didn't feel in the mood of pouring my heart out to the guy, so when he asked if I was alright I just went along with what he'd expected to hear, and hung up.

Rubbing my thighs in an attempt get my mind off of the sickening dread growing in my gut, I tried to distract myself by looking around some more.

I'd called Narah's friends a while ago to have them staying here in case the doctors came up with any news on her while I wasn't here. They were now waiting across the hallway, holding each other tightly. The worry was visible on their figures, the fear of what the surgery's outcome would be. Sofia looked just as concerned and even more terrified.

I looked around the ER area that I'd found some time ago bringing Narah in. Stopping my stare at the feet of a man who was breathing through a mask, his clothes burnt and evaporating a little smoke, I thought of how this man had felt when he'd probably been trapped inside a burning building.

Powerless, afraid... alone as he waited for his death, the firemans or... had saved himself? Seemed like he succeeded, alright? Saved himself or got saved and entered a fucking hospital to have needles poking his veins and hell knew what fucking substances flowing through his body!

Resuming my looking around, I tried to ignore my instinct of bolting out of this hell. I hated hospitals... I so, so hated fucking hospitals!

It wasn't about the people, because I was one to know victims of accidents, nature or fate all too well. After all, I'd helped get people into ERs or morgues. It was about the medical staff and the needles.

I didn't trust anyone other than my family, Narah and Sofia.

And I lost my trust in anything regarding medical staff that one time mother had taken me to the doctor when I was six.

Now, however, I had no choice, but to put my faith in them.

I could still remember the doctor that had treated me back then. He was over forty, with square, professor glasses, peppered hair and blue eyes. The fucker wore a red tie on a blue shirt in black slacks, besides the white coat and the stethoscope. He gave absolutely no sign that there was anything to be doubted about his practice.