❃ Chapter Three - Club

┴┈┈┈┈■┈┈┈┈┴
Zoe
┬┈┈┈┈□┈┈┈┈┬

This was getting ridiculous…

Two hours of just staring at the phone while cooking dinner was getting awfully ridiculous and annoying. I was supposed to pick up the thing, dial that one specific number and… speak.

How to get the words out, that was another problem. I had to call first, wouldn't I? I kept thinking of the conversation I'd have with him, every possible outcome, but I had to start somewhere, right? Just staring at the thing wouldn't be enough, would it?

Taking the wooden spoon, moving it around in the chicken soup boiling on the stove, I glanced back at the phone with anticipation and heartache.

How was I supposed to tell him my freedom was limited? That we wouldn't be able to see each other again? At least, not in the same way we used to…

Or maybe I could avoid all that and just… end us. It would avoid giving any explanation.

God, maybe if I played all the scenarios in my head all over again, I'd gain some courage to spell out the words, We need to break up, or, I'm breaking up with you.

Inhaling the sweet smell of the soup, I added some jalapeno to spice it a little. With a quick taste, I realized it needed something more. After throwing less than half a teaspoon of salt inside the soup, I glanced back at the phone.

No notifications turned it on, as always. And neither did my fingers. Al I could do was stare at the blackened surface, that was supposed to spark to life with the help of my hand.

My hand stayed put. My eyes did the same.

The loud chirping that echoed through the apartment made me wince and splash some of the liquid in the spoon onto my face. With a hiss, I dropped the wood, grabbed a towel and covered my face with it. Looking up in alarm, I stared at the entrance, from where the sound came.

They couldn't have come so soon, have they? No… no, it was two weeks too early. Much too early.

Luisa hurried to the front door as the twitchiness returned after a moment of stillness. Scratching my neck, glancing at the calendar, cracking my fingers, I struggled to settle myself. At the sound of the deep, male voice that boomed in the apartment, I settled, a wave of relief blowing through my bones.

I almost fell at how good the relief felt.

Cracking my eyes opened, leaning the heels of my palms on the counter, I stared at Luisa as she invited inside her boyfriend, Valentin. Taller by mere two inches that her, he grinned widely as he dipped his chin and kissed her on the mouth. His eyes were a dark brown, his hair tied in a manbun, brown like his eyes. His skin was a fair, tan shade, darker on the pair of lips curled in a genuine smile.

Dressed in his leather jacket, with his jeans and a white t-shirt, he stepped into the apartment and looked around. He shoved the sneakers out of his feet, his eyes landing on me just as he revealed a pair of blue socks. Unimpressed gaze took a turn for shock as those peepers of his flared.

"Hi!" I said with the same smile I kept sporting ever since I came out of my room a week ago.

And yet, he just blinked. As if I were some type of strange object brought into the home. Completely unknown.