❃ Chapter Seven - Casket

┴┈┈┈┈■┈┈┈┈┴
Zoe
┬┈┈┈┈□┈┈┈┈┬

Did I really put that offer out there? That was the only question on my mind as I pushed the door to my apartment open.

The handsome stranger to whom I almost offered to give the one most precious thing I could not give away, still turned me down and… after that, I picked up my shoes and my jacket and left with an awkward goodbye.

I took the first taxi, gave the address to my apartment building and… now I was here, fucking wondering how I could actually be so… so desperate. But was it really just desperation?

No, saying that a part of me actually wanted him… actually wanted the feel of him touching me, kissing me… doing more than I could think about, wasn't going to make it better. It was going to make it worse because I would've gotten two things out of it.

Talk about a smart whore. The night before I almost got raped, in the morning I almost begged for it. How… how grueling! No wonder he turned me down.

Funny… I didn't even know his name!

Throwing the heels on the floor, shoving the jacket in the closet next to the door, I intended to get into my room as quick as possible. I was stopped by Valentin, who stood in the hallway, half naked with only a pair of sweats on. He was staring straight at me. Eyes wide, jaw unhinged, lips parted slightly, skin as pale as a ghost's, he was utterly still. So still, I could've confused him with a statue.

"Don't get started with dumb questions, I didn't sleep with anyone."

"What the-" he shook his head as if to clear it, then walked forward, mixed emotions sparking in his brown eyes. "Are you okay? Where have you been? We've been trying to get to you for hours! You didn't answer any calls or texts- what the hell happened?"

I pursed my lips, looked around and frowned. "Where's Luisa?"

"She went at Javier's, I said I'd stay here and wait in case you showed up," he murmured worriedly, at which all the blood flowing through my veins ran cold. "Zo-"

"Tell her to come back right now," I gritted, my voice turning shaky. "Call her and tell her not to ring his doorbell!"

"What? Why-"

"Trust me, just do it!"

He stared at me for two seconds, then switched his phone in his palm, dialed and told her quickly. Leave Javier's and come back. I exhaled in great relief when he said that she didn't get to his door yet, but she was on her way back. Weaving on my feet, I walked towards my bedroom, closed the door and threw myself in bed.

"Zoe, what happened?" Valentin asked, following me in my room.

After cursing myself for not locking the door, I rolled with my face to the ceiling and opened my mouth. Only to close it at the lack of words.

"Why didn't you want Luisa at Javier's?" He said in a softer tone as he sat down at the foot of my bed. "Did he do something?"

"He cheated on me last night," I muttered in a shockingly cool tone. "I saw him leave the bathroom with a blonde. I wasn't drunk enough to make it up, so I know what I saw."