❃ Chapter Twenty One - Coincidences

┴┈┈┈┈■┈┈┈┈┴
Jerome
┬┈┈┈┈□┈┈┈┈┬

"My legs hurt," Narah groaned in the backseat, massaging her thighs aggressively.

I chuckled, "Told you they'd start to hurt."

"Don't your muscles hurt?"

I shook my head sternly, glancing at her in the rearview mirror.

"Does that mean that I didn't do a good job?"

"On the other hand, you did a terrific job, kitten," I smirked at her. While I was brushing my teeth, I noticed my eye wasn't twitching anymore and my hands stopped shaking. That was beyond good, seeing I managed to regain my concentration, along with the stillness of my limbs.

"Do you think you can do ballet?"

"I'll handle it," she assured, stretching her arms again. "And if I can't, I'll tell the teacher what I told father."

Right, well... after she proposed me to teach her more about what I was doing... something that didn't sound like such a bad idea anymore... we had headed downstairs to see her father before leaving. What we didn't know, he was about to send a maid for us when we came downstairs. Heard that from Jose, not even from the man in question.

All in all, we went straight to the man. I didn't even notice the change in Narah's figure until we reached the table and she opened her mouth to speak. For a moment there, I actually believed she was sick.

Her coloring wasn't right, her eyes were tired and her voice was a mere rasp. She told her father with her stare to the ground and her back straight that she hadn't felt well and threw up the whole morning, therefore getting me stuck upstairs.

Worried in the heat of the moment, her father looked at me and asked if it was true. I just nodded solemnly, my brows arching more when I looked down at her.

Arturo told her she could skip her daily activities if she didn't feel up to it, but she insisted on going to violin lessons and at least being present at ballet. Her father bought it, her family bought it, even I fucking bought it.

He told me to bring her straight home if she didn't feel well, which I agreed to, not knowing at the moment she was faking it. Just when I left the garage she exhaled in relief and brushed that terrifying expression off her face.

And then she assured me she was actually alright, because I had a hard time believing her. Still did, in fact, even with the knowledge that she'd done the same trick countless times to fool her father.

I was still a little surprised how she fooled me, the one who could tell her own father was a pathological fucking liar!

Huh, she was amazing, wasn't she?

"Well, I'm gonna be by your side whatever you chose-" I was cut off by the sound of my ringtone, ringing louder than the radio music. Taking it from its support, I looked at the caller ID, then picked up. "What's up?"

"The sky, ceiling, depends on were you are, buddy." Cole's voice came through the line, a little buzzed, clear sign he was using a cellphone. "Happy birthday, Jer!"

"Thanks, kid," I smirked, "Heard you got accepted. How's military life treating ya?"

"Oof, well, I'm waking up at five am, exercises most of the day... jobs around the compound. I'm getting a lotta shit to do in the kitchen. Mom would be proud of me."