Chapter 28

I walked along the shallow depths of the sea, letting my feet splash into the frigid water. Although it was -100 degrees, I found comfort by feeling the gentle currents of the sea push against my ankles. I was so preoccupied with my thoughts that I didn't notice the cold. 

The cold, grey, ominous clouds loomed over me, casting a shadow from behind. They made the situation feel a lot bleaker. 

I couldn't believe that Anna was going. 

I knew that I should trust Jane. She always knew what she was doing. She always knew what was best for everyone. She always knew what she was doing. 

Almost always, at least. 

"Cathy?"

I recognised that voice. Angelic, sweet, calm... with a hint of defiance in it. Mae.

"Mae?"

She was bounding over to me, splashing both of her feet through the water, taking no notice of how cold it was. Her unbrushed, brunette hair was flying out wildly as she splashed through the water.

"Cathy, what are you doing out here?" She asked me, making direct eye contact. 

"I just fancied a walk," I responded. It was true. "How are you?"

"Me? Oh, I'm just a little sad," She replied, the expression on her face changing. The hopeful sparkle in her eyes had gone. It was replaced by a much more serious and concerned gaze. 

"Why? What's wrong?" I asked, rushing to her aid instantly. I put an arm around her shoulders, something I've wanted to do for a long time. She didn't recoil, much to my relief. 

"It's Janie," Mae admitted, "She's going this week on the raft to America. I'm scared, Cathy. What if I never see her again?"

I could feel Mae's shoulders shaking under my arm. I didn't know if that was from the cold or if it was from fear. I took it for granted that she was just cold, so I pulled out a pair of gloves that Janie had given me. I slipped them onto Mae's hands, pressing my warm palm into hers.

"You will see her in America! I'm sure of it," I comforted her, sounding much more confident than I was. "You both are such great friends! There's no way you'll fall out of contact."

"You think?"

"I don't just think. I know." As I say those words, I watch the shadow of fear ebb away from Mae's face. I had said just the right thing to comfort her, just like a real mother should do. Something which I always longed to be.

"I'll miss Janie," She said to me after a long silence had passed between us both, "I'll miss playing on the beach together, playing talk with her, going off on long hikes with her..."

"You'll be able to that all again, but in America instead! Which is even better!" I said enthusiastically to her, "You'll love it in America!"

She didn't say anything back to me, but instead, she pulled me into a hug.

"Thank you for being there for me, mum."

My eyes began to well up in tears after she had said that. I couldn't believe that she had just acknowledged me as her mum. I wondered what made her change her mind. 

"I love you, Mae."

After a short hesitation, she replied with:

"I love you too, mum."

---

I walked Mae back to her tent, practically radiating and glowing with happiness. There was a definite spring in my step as I pranced back to my own tent, feeling happier than I had felt in weeks. 

"Wow, you're in a good mood," Anne grinned, "Glad to see that you're happier."

I planted a kiss on her forehead and I snuggled under the covers of my sleeping bag. I slept like a log, sleeping well through the morning. This was something that hadn't happened to me since I had left Henry. 

In the afternoon, I went down to the beach for my usual walk, catching sight of Edward, Mary, Janie and Mae walking across the beach arm in arm. Once Janie had caught sight of me, she excused herself from her friends and dashed over to where I was. 

She looked happy, excited and thrilled, like a child who had been given exactly what she wanted for Christmas. 

"Did it work?" She asked me, panting. 

"Did what work?"

"You and Mae. Is it better now?"

"Why yes, but I don't know what you mean?" I quizzed, narrowing my eyes. "Did you tell Mae something or what?"

She lifted both her hands up in surrender. 

"Sorry," She said, not sounding particularly apologetic. "I didn't mean to intervene but I just wanted to put things right between you both. I spoke to Mae and had a long conversation with her about how much you care about her. I had no idea if it would work or not..."

"It did," I exclaimed, my face stretching into a grin, "Janie, you're a genius! I can't thank you enough! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" 

I pull her into a hug, burying my head into her shoulder. We hold the hug for a long time, but when I pull apart, Janie is smiling. Her smile is so broad, it almost stretches from ear to ear.

"I'm so glad that I was able to help," She said, maturely. I bit my lip and hugged her again.

She may have been too young to understand but what she did for me was something I was never going to forget. One small act of kindness was able to restore something I had wanted for so long. 

Janie pushed a small notepad into my hands and jogged away, trying to catch up with her friends. I smiled, turning the book over in the palm of my hand.

I decided to open it, and a small note fluttered out like a delicate butterfly.

Something to write down your thoughts in.

-Janie Xx

I gave you the happiest chapter I could muster lol. 

I'm so glad that my kneecaps are back. 

Thanks for reading.