Prologue

(Present time)

When I first stepped into the interrogation room, I shuddered in pure discomfort.

The walls were dark and ominous as they towered over me and I was small and insignificant within them. There was hardly anything inside the room apart from the two chairs, a desk and a camera that stood menacingly in the centre of the room, dragging me straight out of my comfort zone. Even the streets were more preferable to this.

I couldn't run from the police forever, I couldn't run from the truth forever, I couldn't run from the fact that my whole family were either dead or missing and it was partially my fault. I agreed to let them go. I agreed to separate the group. And now they're all gone. They've vanished off the face of Earth, with little hope of finding them again.

I put my face into my hands and awkwardly fidgeted with the handcuffs around my wrists.

Damn, these things are tight.

I watched the detective walk up towards the opposite end of the table and place down a mini digital camera, flickering it on with a small beep. He gave me a look, a hard look, letting his hard, uncaring, dark brown eyes bore into mine. Then he switched on a small smile, letting the dark shadow in his eyes fade. I let the knot in my stomach subside slightly as I took in several deep breaths, focusing on playing with the ends of my hair.

He isn't there to hurt me.

The detective cleared his throat.

"This is Case 9438. This is Officer Jones reporting to the case of Catherine Parr who 'allegedly' tried to illegally emigrate from the United Kingdom over to the United States of America. This is an interrogation at 2:03 pm on the 13th March. We shall begin now."

My knees were shaking slightly. It was hard keeping a straight face when I felt like I was destined to burst into a flood of tears at any second.

"Catherine Parr." The detective asked me, his eyes narrowed slightly. I chewed my lip, anxiously. I was scared of what would happen to me if I didn't tell the truth. "Why did you want to leave the UK?"

"I can't...say..." I whispered, trying to hold back tears that were threatening to spill. 

"You were in a relationship with Henry VIII, is this correct?"

'Yes, it is.' I responded, avoiding the detective's gaze.

"Could you expand on that anymore? What was it like being with Henry?" The detective's voice echoed out. I could feel his gaze piercing the back of my forehead, but I didn't lookup. Not until I had regained my usual dignity as I felt as if I were to burst into tears at any second.

"I hated it," I stammered, not knowing if it was safe to let the truth slip out, "He hurt me. Continuously..."

He nodded his head encouragingly, flashing me another faint smile. He then looked over his shoulder, nodding his head ever so slightly.

"You have an eager visitor that is ever-so desperate to see you, she claims to know who you are."

After hearing that, I looked up sharply, my eyes narrowed with suspicion and paranoia. "Who?"

I had hurt too many people in my lifetime. I had destroyed so many lives. I had wrecked so many relationships. 

What if it was...her? The one person I had destroyed since the minute she was born? What if it was...Mae?

Then he brings somebody else entirely in. She's grown up now, and her face is more mature, her eyes had lost the innocent gleam, and her charming smile that she used to always have, was no longer on her face. She had grown a whole head taller, and her hair was now cut short into a dramatic bob instead of it cascading down her waist. She's grown up so much, I barely recognized her anymore.

My jaw dropped in surprise, as I let out a muffled shriek. She at least was one of the few that didn't want me dead.

'Elizabeth Tudor?' I asked her in surprise, she responded with a smile and a nod, and I could tell she was as shocked as I was. She took an uncertain step towards me before she flung her arms around my shoulders, choking back tears. I tried to hug her back despite the fact I wearing handcuffs, not daring to believe my stroke of luck.

'Cathy! I've.. missed you so much!' She cried, letting out a small squeal. 'Where's mum?'

I bit my lip, uncertain. I took one look at her happy and relieved face and I couldn't bring myself to tell her the truth. 'Never mind that, why are you here?'

'Long story, I'll tell you after you tell me yours.'

'Fine.'

I took in a deep breath, ignoring the camera that was shoved into my face and I began my tale. The tale that flipped my life upside down, drastically. The tale that showed everybody my true colours. But it needs to be put out there, no matter how lost I felt on the inside. And only I can do that.

Because I'm the survivor, Catherine Parr.

Thoughts?