Chapter 20

"And here we are, this is the place you requested ma'am," The Taxi Driver said emotionlessly, looking at Jane. 

"Right," Jane replied, giving the Taxi Driver the money that Henry had given her. He took it from her gratefully and turned his twinkling brown eyes to meet Jane's. 

"So for what reason are you all doing in a place like Weymouth?" He asked casually, turning around to look at the at us all at the back. 

"Fun things," I said sharply, pulling myself out of the Taxi. I gently helped Mary and Edward out before I snatched up our belongings. "It's kind of secret." 

"Oh miss, you can trust me," He smirked cheekily, winking playfully at Kitty. She blushed a bright shade of red and giggled.  "I'm trustworthy, I assure you." 

"No, we're okay," Jane said tonelessly, with forced politeness. "Come on Kitty, let's go." 

"What a pretty name, Kitty..." The Taxi Driver murmured, giving Kitty and smouldering look. She smiled back in return. 

I eyed the driver with a look of deep disgust. He must've been about fifty, flirting with a nineteen-year-old. He reminded me too much of Henry. He had the same forceful characteristics, that same determined, obnoxious way of talking. As if he knew, he was the only thing that mattered in the World. As if he knew, he was going to get his way, no matter how much destruction he knew he was going to cause. 

I could see Jane shuddering at the horrific sight of the Driver flirting with Kitty and I could sense that she was itching to leave the Driver as fast as possible. Her eyes flashed with awkwardness and her she chewed on her lip nervously. 

"Come on Kitty," She sighed, half-pulling half-dragging Kitty out of the Taxicab. The rest of the family followed suit, much to Jane's relief. 

Kitty blew a kiss at the Taxi as it was pulling away. 

"Kitty, what in the name of God was that?" Anne snapped, grabbing her cousin on her arm, "That dude is like an ancient tortoise."

"Don't use the Lord's name in vain," Cath cut in, folding both of her arms, "You're being disrespectful." 

Anne only stuck her tongue out at Cath, "Do you think I care?" 

"Yes."  Cath snapped in response. 

"I'm an atheist so no." 

"So you don't believe in God?" 

"Yeah, it seems too unrealistic." 

"It's NOT UNREALISTIC." 

"Uhhh, yes it is." 

"NO!"

"Yes."

"GUYS STOP BICKERING FOR GOD-" Jane cut in but was suddenly interrupted by Cath. 

"DON'T. USE. THE. LORD'S. NAME. IN. VAIN." 

"Guys, all of you shut up." I broke in, trying not to laugh at how ridiculous their argument was. "Look over there!" 

I pointed my finger at what looked like a massive refugee camp. There were little tents made out of cardboard and blue sheets lined up neatly in a large space. My eyes flickered over to young children of all different races, running left and right playing a massive game of tag. They were all wearing basic and plain clothing, consisting of nothing but a patent jacket and consolidated trousers. 

Although we were stood quite some distance away, I could hear a faint murmur of happy and lively chatter come from the residents and the squeals and laughs of delight from the young children. 

"Are we staying there?" Anna asked, smiling at the sight of the children. 

"I think so." Jane murmured, grabbing Edward's hand. "Let's go guys." 

So we all walked, hand in hand over to the camp. We walked hand in hand because we were a family. We walked hand in hand because we were there for each other. We walked hand in hand because we all loved one another. 

When we were just a matter of yards from the camp, Jane turned around and looked at us all. 

"I guess this will be home for a short amount of time until we progress onto a ship on our way to America." She held out her hand for a high-five. 

We all cheered and I had never felt so happy in my life since that moment. I was going to leave behind Henry and all of those bad memories that I had from my childhood and move onto a new future with a lovely family in an amazing country. 

Nothing could go wrong now, couldn't it?

This chapter is crap, I'm sorry. I wrote this in like fifteen minutes with no editing because I literally have no time. 

I'm sorry for the lack of updates, I promise when it comes the Christmas holidays (After both my schooling and dance exams and music exams), I will retreat back to my daily updates. But for now, stay safe from Covid, wash yerrr hands, don't eat my kneecaps and thanks for reading!